Changing Engine Lights

Ben H

Nov 22, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
In one of my P2K 0-8-0 steam switches the lights either have to be replaced or aided with a resistor when you switch to DCC.

I will have no problem with the tender but the engine is a little bit of problem.

1. I could use the resistor but it will need two, one for each bulb or.

2.replace the lights by using 12-14 volt bulbs.

Has anyone done this to a P2K 0-8-0 steam switcher, because it looks like some very tight fitting will be required in the engine boiler at the front.

Current bulb is a grain of wheat and the 12/14 bulbs are bigger.

Your experience or ideas would be appreciated

Ben H

Nov 22, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
Yes 60103 thats the problem I would like to avoid.

It appears that a resistor would be the best choice as it would reduce the amps and related heat factor in the smoke box.

Thanks for adding your comment - hope someone can discuss what they did.

boppa

Jul 21, 2002
australia
au.geocities.com
whats the original voltage of the bulb and whats the track voltage??
need to know the current drawn by the bulb as well

resister = (track voltage - original bulb voltage) / current drawn by bulb

then get the closest one in value thats BIGGER than the calculated value

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
I'd also suggest that when you go to get the resistors, pick up a wirewrap tool(small hand operated, about the size of a small screwdriver). Solder the "power"end of the resistor, and wrap the lamp wire on the other resistor lead. The connection will be solid enough, and lamp replacement is a simple matter of wirewrapping the new lamp leads.
Pete

Pete

Jun 2, 2001
New Brunswick, Canada
www.hioutput.com
Any consideration to using a small, white LED instead of a bulb?
The make almost no heat, and are automatically 'directional' by nature (not sure if steam loco's operated that way or not??)
The LED's are available in 3mm and 5mm sizes, and will also need a resistor to keep from blowing up. You can sometimes snag some on eBay for about 20 cents each (bought in bulk, of course) and sometimes as high as $2 a piece. I recently bought a pack of 100 3mm 6000mcd ones for $20 US plus $10 shipping and they are a near identical match to the ones in my Kato SD40-2's.
Just thought I'd throw that option out to you...

Pete