Canyon model

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
ocalicreek said:

That's definitely not a flat layout. John Allen, the man, the mystery.

I don't know that I'd ever want to be that extreme, I mean, if I had the space / money / time, sure, but that's never going to happen for me. I just want to have a nice canyon on a 2 to 3 foot deep shelf layout :)

Thanks for the linkage!

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
That's definitely not a flat layout. John Allen, the man, the mystery.
I don't know that I'd ever want to be that extreme, I mean, if I had the space / money / time, sure, but that's never going to happen for me. I just want to have a nice canyon on a 2 to 3 foot deep shelf layout :)

John Allen, and Dave Frary, are just a couple of the greats who have inspired me. We never intend to become extreme, but eventually we grow into it. The levels that these people model at are reachable goals. Please note**** I did not say immediately reachable, these skills are developed, not instantly aquired. I hope I never reach a point where there is no one left to learn from. In my own philosophy, achieving is only a confirmation of having learned. Learning is far more important (and more fun!).
Pete

Collyn

Aug 18, 2006
Canon City CO
www.rankinrevolutions.com
Seen one I have one

I am make one night now of the royale gorge. This was a very ineresting line. It went to leadville and grand junction. Now it is mostly a sightseeniging line. The gorge is over 1000 feet deep so obviously I am not scale. Scale would be over six feet. At the top of the gorge is the highest suspention bridge. Eventually it will be built up to 3 feet high. The gorge goes quite a bit back in my layout so youcan get that feeling like the train in the canon like loud music was talking about

Attachments

• royal gorge 027.jpg
    royal gorge 027.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 106
  • train n 012.jpg
    train n 012.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 105

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
pgandw said:
Having the track in the canyon and looking over the canyon edge to see it can be a great idea in theory, and certainly is something different.

There are 2 cautions I can see to look out for.

The first is sight lines. You might want to mock things up full size with cardboard and the like to ensure you get the sight lines you want. Elevations of various objects and layout height may need be adjusted to achieve the desired view. I would hate to build detailed scenery that later could not be seen.

The second caution is access. You are now reaching across the front canyon lip and down into the canyon to construct and maintain track and scenery. Again, your mockup is key to ensuring the desired result can be accessed with the degree of ease that suits you. Because these issues are quite difficult to measure and determine the result prior to construction, I strongly recommend some kind of full-size trial to make sure everything suits your before committing a lot of time and $$.

There is a reason most model railroads progress up as you move back from the aisle - it naturally avoids most of these issues. I do encourage you to make the attempt - it will likely result in a beautiful and unique model scene. Just be prepared to make adjustments to the plan as you build based on sight lines and access issues.

your in training

With regard to Fred's point about access, remember that you may have rerail a train in that canyon. If you need to reach over trees to rerail, you need to be sure thay will be low enough that you can do it easily without damaging the trees.

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
By the looks of the computer mock up, you could make the scenery from the track to the edge of the bench removable. I'd puzzle cut some 3/8" ply with 3-4 layers of 2" foam glued on top, then carve away the cliffs. Pin it in place with some dowel pins and any time you needed to access the track, pull it up and place it somewhere out of the way. :thumb:

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
zedob said:
By the looks of the computer mock up, you could make the scenery from the track to the edge of the bench removable. I'd puzzle cut some 3/8" ply with 3-4 layers of 2" foam glued on top, then carve away the cliffs. Pin it in place with some dowel pins and any time you needed to access the track, pull it up and place it somewhere out of the way. :thumb:

Brilliant!

/me makes a note.

Thank you, excellent suggestion. I don't think that's come up before. It's not so drastic as a hatch in the middle of a 6' deep section, but essentially the same concept. Get the layout out of your way so you can access the layout.

Collyn

Aug 18, 2006
Canon City CO
www.rankinrevolutions.com
zedob said:
I know this thread is a little old but I was looking again. Once again I made a removable section sort of what your talking about. It was for a tunnel though. I wouldn't do this unless absoloutly nessesary . It is hard to conceil the edges. Loud music, if you wasnted to see a more recent pic of my canyon see my link to my thread