Can EZ track be combined with Atlas true track?

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
Hi all. My dad and I are making a grain tower w/ a shed that overhangs the track. The problem is that our EZ track can't go low enough for our trains can run through it:( . Our only solution is to use normal track and make use of that. Atlas seems to be our closest bet, but I will conult the gods of MRRing (that's you:D )for good measure

iis612

Dec 26, 2006
Chicago Burbs
Great thread. I too am going to be combining tracks. I have EZ track. I like the track, but I have 4 switches that I don't like. I will be combining with Atlas flex track, and snap sections.
My advice, watch your roadbed size. I have heard, and have seen an example where scale balast was used as prototype roads do. It is packed under and around the track to raise and level it. That is what I plan to do with a lower height roadbed.

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
jeffrey-wimberl said:
The answer is yes. Regular track can be used with EZ track. Just make sure the regular piece is well supported or you'll have problems with it sagging under the wieght of the train.

Thanks, but can it just be conected with the rail joiners on both, or do you need to do something special? I plan on using it on the base of a grain elevator (which the elevator will be supported up with extra layers of foam at the base) and my dad says untill we get this problem sorted out, we will not be assembleing it (the elevator). All I need is a 9-inch for it. If anyone has pics that show an easy method on how to do this threads namesake, pleas post them

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Another option may be to raise the building and surrounding area up? Take some quarter inch thick cork and put that down under the building, maybe even extend out from the building a few inches, then use sculpta-mold or plaster to blend the raised cork area into the level of the layout.

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
Gary S. said:
Another option may be to raise the building and surrounding area up? Take some quarter inch thick cork and put that down under the building, maybe even extend out from the building a few inches, then use sculpta-mold or plaster to blend the raised cork area into the level of the layout.

That's what I meant. It's a small area, so it's not gonnna be a huge problem. That and I don't want tooo high a track!

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
I understand now...

What if you go ahead and use the EZ track where the track runs, and butt the cork that will be under the building up to the roadbed on both sides?

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
Gary S. said:
I understand now...

What if you go ahead and use the EZ track where the track runs, and butt the cork that will be under the building up to the roadbed on both sides?

can't, there's a part of the base where the track runs. It's the Walthers Prarie Star Elevator we're building. We can't remove it 'cause it's conected to the outside wall (the ONLY conection may I add) and you can't remove the track from the bed. If we could, this thread wouldn't exist:D

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
Gary S. said:
I understand now...

I was able to do that, but you will definately have to shim it up where it joins the EZ track and you will have a grade difference. That's OK for me because where I live, the main line is about the same amount higher than the siding so my layout looks prototypical!

Michael

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
ok, new discovery! I was browsing the closest Hobby Lobby's model train aile and I found Atlas' unerversal rail joiners for code 100/83 track. The guy who worked there said it should do for conecting EZ track to True Track, but seeing as how my layout's kinda still un-operable, i didn't get the things then. I think it should solve our problems, but I want to ask you guys about it:thumb: