Can-eh-dian Invaders

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
CSX trains in Ohio regularly operate with non-CSX power. Canadian power is regularly seen on this part of the CSX system operating on export grain trains, run-through automobile trains, and detouring intermodal trains. Here are some samples of Canadian Pacific power in Ohio.

CP8522DelawareBendOH8-19-03Small.jpg

CP 8522 leads an X503 through Delaware Bend, Ohio and into the setting sun on August 19, 2003. N80, 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 AF Zoom Nikkor, Fuji Sensia 100, tripod mounted, exposure unrecorded.

CP5987WillardOH8-16-03Small.jpg

CP5987 leads G684 east out of Willard, Ohio on a cloudy July day. N80, 35-105mm f/3.5-4.5 AF Zoom Nikkor, Fuji Provia 100F, handheld, exposure unrecorded.

railwaybob

Jun 15, 2003
Ottawa, Ont
www.railwaybob.com
The second photo with the SD40s would make a nice scene to model.

The strange thing about the first photo is that the two AC4400s are both oriented in the same direction - cab first. Usually, they're operated back-to-back so that they don't have to be wyed/turned at the end of their run for the return trip.

Love those signals! How did you happen to arrive on the scene in time to snap the two photos?

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Originally posted by railwaybob
Love those signals! How did you happen to arrive on the scene in time to snap the two photos?

The first location, Delaware Bend, is one of my usual afternoon/evening railfan spots. I had been there about three hours before this train showed up and seen only eastbounds, so there were no photos to be had. I could hear this guy calling signals for about twenty minutes before he got to where I was and the entire time I was wondering why I could hear a "503" when there isn't one anywhere on that line. Well, sure enough when he came into view I realized it was an X503 rerouted CP intermodal. I guess all the radio range in the world is of no use if you don't have your head screwed on straight! :rolleyes:

The second shot was a bit more by luck. I had spent that morning around Cleveland doing some shooting and decided to follow the CSX line from Akron back west. We had pretty poor luck on the line all afternoon but on the radio we could hear the G684 talking to the Willard Train Director (fancy term for "yardmaster") about departing the yard soon and figgured it would be a CP train. We hustled westward until we ran into him, which we did here about five miles east of Willard. I knew of this location as I had shot trains here before on previous trips and wanted to try to shoot this one there. There's a small church located across the street from my vantage point so I parked there, ran across the street, and pretty much had time to raise my camera and click. This was the best of that sequence of shots.

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
What, talking about invaders and No Mention of the fact that the largest iron ore hauling road in the world was just bought by the CN?
Thats right, DM&IR in northern minnesota along with its sister road the Bessemer and Lake Erie were purchased by the CN.Operations will be taken over early this year.
On the brite side for railroading,the chineese are going to buy some 200 million long tons of ore from the mesabi range which will be transported to vancouver for shipping by rail.That is a lot of rail traffic at 70 tons per car.So,look for some DM&IR Jennies out in western Canada.coming to a classification yard near you :)

railwaybob

Jun 15, 2003
Ottawa, Ont
www.railwaybob.com
CN has also taken over the Algoma Central and BC Rail. Its all part of their strategic plan to become a truly North American railway, rather than a Canadian road.

If it's any consolation, the head of CN, after Paul Tellier left for Bombardier, is Hollis Hunter who was the former head of the Illinois Central before the merger with CN. The majority of CN shareholders live south of the 49th parallel. So us Canucks are just waiting for the day when Canandian National Railways simply becomes CN Rail.

That's globalization for you, eh?