Can anyone tell me who made this engine?

midwayusa

Feb 6, 2007
sd7_web.jpg

It has Yugoslavia molded into the the bottom of the trucks. I assume it is an SD7 or SD9? It runs very well but the shell is in bad shape. I'd like to find out if there are any parts available or find someone that may have a shell. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
An EMD would have even axle spacing on each truck. It's a high-nose RSD-15 originally from MRC made by Mehano. I don't know who else imported it over the years; Model Power might have.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
It's a Model Power Alco RSD unit...that it runs at all is a plus in your favor, they were notoriously poor runners. They haven't been available for quite some time, I owned that one and their RSD15 "Alligator" back in the early 80s, and even kitbashed an HOn30 Climax onto that very mechanism a couple years back>>> http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=5989 . They are found regularly on Ebay though.

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It runs very well but the shell is in bad shape.
That's an odd one. Most of the time, these don't run well if at all. Several modellers have repowered them, or swapped the shell onto another chassis. Unfortunately, the latter means that there might be more mechanisms than shells around.

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
I have one...

...,well two if I could find that one I had as a teen. Yes, old technology, but mine runs fine. That and the fact that it's not too available makes it a pleasure and treasure.

Mark

K.V.Div

May 10, 2001
Shawnigan Lake, B.C. Canada
Visit site
This unit is an old AHM (Associated Hobby Manufacturers) release #26302. it displays a Union Pacific herald under the cab window, has no road number and was released in late 1982.
This unit is a reworked model of an old MRC release dating back to around 1975.
The locomotive is an RSD 15 and it was produced by Alco from February 1956 until June 1960. it was a 2400 hp locomotive and was probably an answer to the Fairbanks-Morse H-24-66 Trainmaster although it was not as heavy and did not have the same tractive effort as that unit.
the AHM model is superior to the old MRC one and, while it can not come close to the quality of the models available today, is still a good running unit.
Also, as it is very old technology the unit will be difficult to convert to DCC, if that is your intention.
I have a Santa Fe unit, however, the whole thing including the body shell is in pretty rough shape and has been since the 5 year old son of an old girlfriend, back in 1983 threw it at the living room wall for whatever reason, known only to him and defended by his mother, who did not stay my girlfriend for long after that.

Terry.

midwayusa

Feb 6, 2007
Appreciate the reply Terry. I am taking my 4 year old to a train show in Lincoln Nebraska this weekend and will take the engine along just in case I can find some parts there. I have purchased several lots on E-Bay that have included engines. Most needed repairs and I fixed them and put them back on E-Bay. Most were only 4 wheel drive but this RSD-15 is 8 wheel drive and I have been keeping those.