Caboose leaf springs

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Graham, Walthers used to make them but I don't know about now. They were nothing but a bent piece of copper strip with a hole in each end to fit over the boss in the truck frame where the coil spring went. It would be easy to fashion some in the same manner.

If they have the correct wheelbase that you are looking for MDC/Roundhouse tender trucks have cast plastic leaf springs. They look very similar to caboose trucks and in fact I think MDC uses them on their older cabooses.

One other source that you might check is Nothwest Shortline www.nwsl.com. they have all kinds of springs.

Also check Precision Scale.

Also check Bowser....they used to have tender trucks with a leaf spring similar to the ones Walthers had.

Graham Hoffman

Apr 17, 2002
Plymouth, WI
Visit site
Thanks again Vic. Actually, the ones I have on my caboose are a brass stampings with quite a bit of detail...ribbing, slots, a little tab on each end, and two holes on the top and bottom to fit over the nubs on the side frame. They really look like a spring. I'll keep looking. I'm sure they're out there somewhere.

GH

pjb

Dec 21, 2000
Visit site
Central Valley made them, with flexible ,detailed copper springs, and you probably can get them from the dealers that specialize in out-of- production models. Jay Cohen and Nixons are on the www as( Jaystrains.com) and (nixonenterprises .com).

They are both reliable, and accurate in their product descriptions.
These are the products of the original Central Valley Company(not current firm using moniker) , that made the best trucks ever produced in 'HO' , and they command premium prices as you might expect. They have RP25-101 wheelsets, with blackened brass wheels on brass axles.
Good-Luck, PJB

Graham Hoffman

Apr 17, 2002
Plymouth, WI
Visit site
PJB.....Thanks for the info. I'll check into these websites.
I agree, Central Valley did have the best trucks available. I have several sets from a couple of decades ago that are in daily use on my layout. One of our club members has a whole drawerful of them still in the original packaging. He's one of those guys that collects stuff like that but never uses it. Pity.

GH

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
If all else fails, I have at least one complete set, possibly two that you're welcome to as the mighty B&MC has moved up to FREDs and roller bearings....