Cabdriver Railfan

J&A_RR

Feb 11, 2005
austin, tx (round rock)
great shots cabdriver!

we are going to be down there in SA for the train show on saturday, if all works out. where is the best place to railfan from, like that train yard in these pictures? hopefully somewhere on the north side where we will be. thanks.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
cabdriver said:
I realiize that the "close up" isn't a close up after all -- I can zoom into the image but when I save it it goes back to the basic picture. Sorry for the duplication.

Great shots Cabdriver!! What program are you using to re-size the image? I know there are some freebies out there (if you don't have Photoshop) that will allow you to re-size.

Val

cabdriver

Jan 23, 2005
I'm using Photoshop. You can do some modifying using the standard programs that come with some of HP's printers, but you just can't beat Photoshop for functionality.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Cabdriver, allow me to give you a little Photoshop tutorial. Zooming into a picture simply changes the view on your screen. What you really want to do is "crop" the image. Start with your largest file, I'm assuming you reduced the size of the pic to post it here. Depending on what version of P-shop you're using you should be able to hit "c" and get the crop tool. Drag a marquee around the area you want to crop - don't worry, it has handles you can use to adjust the borders. Once you have the area selected that you want, hit the "return" key (or maybe that's enter on a PC) and voila! cropped image. Be sure to save it with a new name so you don't over-write your original file.

Val

cabdriver

Jan 23, 2005
Spitfire,
Thanks so much. I am trying your method (I think). :) Here is what I have done -- Used Photoshop to zoom into the image, then croped it, then saved it, then downsized it. I'll post here and hopefully it will come out looking like the zoomed image. Keep your fingers crossed. :D

Attachments

• Switch Thrower Crop 2.jpg
    Switch Thrower Crop 2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 12

cabdriver

Jan 23, 2005
:D Wah HOOOOOO!! :D :D :D :D :D :D Cropped and zoomed image! Sure can see more detail! :thumb: :thumb: Thanks Spitfire for your advice -- worked like a charm. By the way, here is a view of the switch ( a different one than the guy was throwing) -- never been this close to one.

cabdriver

Jan 23, 2005
One more cropped and zoomed image -- Just love the UP! :p :wave: :D :D

Attachments

• UP MU 3 Cropped.jpg
    UP MU 3 Cropped.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 11

cabdriver

Jan 23, 2005
And here is the UP yard office where all of this was taking place. Sorry for the stupid question, but is this how all yard switching works? I always thought that they would back the cars up into position, unhook, then move forward, switch tracks, back the cars up into position, unhook them, etc, etc. :rolleyes: I am amazed to see the engines gaining some limited momentum, then literally pushing the cars off the locos onto the tracks free-wheeling. I'm not sure how they unhooked them -- maybe they unhooked them before they started backing up then stopped the engine all of a sudden which would send the cars rolling on. I'd be curious what others have seen around their yards. :) :)

Anyway, here is the UP yard office.

Attachments

• UP Yard office.jpg
    UP Yard office.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 12

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
Hello Cabdriver, what you saw them do we call "kicking" If the yard is flat or not on a grade you kick the cars to get them to roll down the lead or ladder track into the rail you want them. Here in Sparks Nevada our yard is on a 1% grade so when we switch on the top end, all we have to do is uncouple the cars. To do that we bunch the slack so the uncoupling lever can open the knuckle which is enough movement to get the cars rolling. We don't let them roll too far and the track they are going into must have cars in it already with hand brakes applied to them. When I switched in Stockton, we could switch a 100 car train in about 90 minutes, if we had a lot of single cars to let go.

Cheers,
Greg

cabdriver

Jan 23, 2005
Greg, thanks so much for the post. :thumb: That sounds exactly like what they were doing -- kicking the cars off the end. :eek: This yard area is very flat, but it amazed me how much speed the cars had going off the end of the locomotive. They moved down the rail with quite a bit of energy, rolled quickly, then slowed and stopped, amazingly in just about the place you would have expected them to stop. :eek: :eek: Lots of other cars parked on the rails -- I was really wondering if they would keep going and hit. Given your remark about the hand brake applied to the parked cars, it must happen quite often. What an amazing spectacle! :p

cabdriver

Jan 23, 2005
Went out this beautiful morning to see what I could see -- wow, :eek: what a lot of traffic on the rail. I shot a few pictures that I thought I would post up here for all to enjoy. I know I certainly did. :)

Here's a shot of BNSF heading out of the yard and then a close-up as it went by.

Attachments

• BNSF Coming.jpg
    BNSF Coming.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 14
  • BNSF Here.jpg
    BNSF Here.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 12

cabdriver

Jan 23, 2005
Now here was a real treat. This Norfolk Southern locomotive was simply beautiful. :thumb: Haven't seen this one here before.

Here it is on its way, then a closer view.

Attachments

• Norfolk Southern 1.jpg
    Norfolk Southern 1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Norfolk Southern Closeup.jpg
    Norfolk Southern Closeup.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 13

cabdriver

Jan 23, 2005
And then on down the rail. As you can see from these pictures I was able to get really close to the track. The rumble of those engines shook the whole ground. One of the Engineers waved nicely as he went past, I might add.:wave:

Attachments

• Norfolk Southern 3.jpg
    Norfolk Southern 3.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 12