Build: USS North Carolina, JSC, 1:400

Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by rlwhitt, Nov 8, 2007.

1. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

eib,

Once I saw the problem I should have gone ahead and started reinforcing but I didn't (lazy). When I realized how bad it had become and how it was going to affect subsequent steps it was really too late, as I had the main superstructure (which was the worst culprit) in place. I don't feel too bad as I'm not really concentrating on getting this one just right, I really do consider it practice for bigger things.

Thanks for the support guys!
    Rick
  2. Teamski

Teamski Member

You know, I didn't have the waviness problem with mine. However, it makes sense since I photocopied it first on a bit heavier stock. Some of the waviness will come out as you add superstructure.

-Ski
  3. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I've noticed that the card stock on this is thinner than other books I've got.
  4. Teamski

Teamski Member

Compared to other 1:400?

-Ski
  5. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

No, I have no other 1:400 to compare. I'm just saying that for similar size structures that have to hold shape, regardless of scale, it seems thin. But I'm not a boat guy (yet), so I may be off a bit :)

6. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

BB 55 is in Dry Dock

At this point I'm shelving this build. As I reached the back of the main superstructure and tried to build upon it, I ran into a real mess. The deck was very uneven and I could not correct it by this point. Then the next parts to go on did not fit well at all and once down on the deck were just a horrendous mish-mash! I can't even stand to look at it.

I approached this model as a learning experience and thus was not expecting the quality of build I usually try for, but this is nowhere close to acceptable to me, so I'm shelving it, perhaps permanently. This one is just not proving to be fun, and that's why I do this, so I'm moving on to other things...
  7. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Makes a lot of sense. I look forward to seeing what you jump into next ;)
  8. Teamski

Teamski Member

Sorry to hear about that. I hope it doesn't discourage you from doing other 1:400 ships. You had one hell of a good start on it, though. Cudos.....

-Ski
  9. edi

edi Member

I have to agree; maybe you have to sleep one night over the problem, and then you`ll solve it:thumb:
    BTW: 1:400 makes alot of fun
  10. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

A hint - something else with a North Carolina connection. But back to aircraft.