Brass Pacific for $27.50

F

Fred_M

Here's an add from January 1950 MR. Cast brass tender kit was $5 more. The mag is fun to read with words like keen. FRED:)

Attachments

• 1950.jpg
    1950.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 131

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Just remember, in the 1950s my father was paying $50 or $55 a month for a two bedroom apartment.
Now, how much is a two bedroom apartment now?
I see the tender is cast brass. I always though the locos were cast something else.

F

Fred_M

That link to that new loco looks interesting. Anyone out there build/see/hear about one of these locos? THX for the link Neil. FRED:)

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
That is a cool model, Niel!

Fred, those old mags are sooooo coooool. I greab up all the 30's 40's 50's and 60's mags I can get whenever they are available at the LHS or where ever. Then I go for the 70's and 80's if I still have some money left :D Great stuff. It always amazes me how many of hte new techniques were used 40 years ago! :D :D :D

F

Fred_M

Yeah jon, I get them to learn the new old way of making things.:D Them guys back then knew how to scratch build because they didn't have much choice. I can buy a lot of paper/wood/plaster for what a nice kit costs. Our LHS has lots of old mags and I buy 5 every week for $2.50. I read them all cover to cover and run out by tuesday. I luv em. FRED

I like the old Trains , RMC and MR mags.
I know things were far from perfect back then,and there were no neat things like train websites. But the magazines of that time contained a lot more actual train related stuff instead of ads. ( I know, ads are good, informs the reader,pays the bill etc..) .
They were just more nuts and bolts back then.
Rose colored glasses firmly in place...:)

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Guys,At the ripe old age of 10 I built my first Penn-Line(now Bowser) locomotive kit-a PRR H9 2-8-0.My Daddy would check on my progress if I saw him smile and nod his head I knew I was doing well..If he smile and shook his head I knew I made a mistake.My Daddy thought it was best if I built that kit on my own so I could learn how to build and repair steam locomotives.
My next kit was a Hobbytown of Boston RS3.Again my Daddy repeated the same thing as he did when I built the H9.

I will always be grateful to Dad for doing that..As I learn many lesions concerning locomotives and how to repair them or tweak the drive to get a locomotive to run smoother..:D