Best way to remove decals or transfers?

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have a loco on which I'm planning to change its decals. The older emblem or transfer (that I want to remove) is on its tender. This older decal is a little faded from handling and I want to remove it and apply a new emblem, which I've already receive on a decal sheet. This is a small (about 1/8" in diameter), round emblem so it should be easy to remove.

So ... I'm wondering what are the best or most recommended ways to remove old decals? For example, should I gently scrub it with a mild, soapy solution?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can offer!

(FYI, the loco/tender in question is a Bachmann 0-6-0 Collett in Green Great Western Railway livery. This GWR emblem is the small, round "shirt button" logo. As mentioned, it's small and a bit faded from handling. I want to remove that emblem and update it with the later British Railways crest. I received a sheet of decals from a company in the UK -- www.mainlytrains.co.uk -- that specializes in decals.)

Rob

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Rob,

Try putting a drop or two of decal setting solvent (Solvaset, MicroSol, MicroSet, in decreasing strength) on the decal, and then gently rubbing it with a pencil eraser.

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Squidbait said:
Rob,
Try putting a drop or two of decal setting solvent (Solvaset, MicroSol, MicroSet, in decreasing strength) on the decal, and then gently rubbing it with a pencil eraser.

Thanks. Can you get these products from a LHS? Sorry for such a basic question but I'm pretty much new this! Rob

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Rob,

Any hobby shop that carries detailing/painting stuff should have it. Whereabouts in T.O. are you? George's should have it, if nobody else.

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Squidbait said:
Rob,

Any hobby shop that carries detailing/painting stuff should have it. Whereabouts in T.O. are you? George's should have it, if nobody else.

Thanks ... I'll try George's or Hornet Hobbies. I live in East York and Hornet is very close by and they have a good selection of paints and related supplies. Thanks again, Rob