Best ever Rendering Techniques, or How to Burn out your Brain in One Lesson

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Gandolf50, May 15, 2018 at 3:46 PM.

?

How likely is it that you will render a file in the next week?

This poll will close on May 29, 2018 at 3:46 PM.
  1. Very Likely

25.0%
  2. Not Likely

25.0%
  3. Somewhat Likely

50.0%
  4. What's Rendering?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Gandolf50

Gandolf50 Researcher of obscure between war vehicles... Moderator

I started gathering some info for this thread .. several weeks ago .. as I said I would do a short ( maybe not) TUT on how to do some UV/ Rendering techniques in Rhino ( and others ) for better renders of your 3d works. Zathros kindly sent me a Rhino file to use which I will, at some stage, but while looking at his file I ran into a few snags that I had to work out, as I wanted to make the TUT as simple as possible and yet help make your renders as best as possible with the least amount of damage to brain cells, and not turn it into a modeling tutorial as well! Sorry, some parts of your brain are going to suffer! in fact, before I finish this sentence, the rendering processes out there have more than likely have already changed drastically! Things are just moving that fast!
    This is not specifically aimed to get a textured model for papercraft! That may or maynot be possible! Some things in here will help, some objects and the way virtually all rendering is moving does not produce a PHYSICAL printable image! There it is! That includes Rhino, thought they are several YEARS behind all others in that respect, in all render capabilities.

First off some terminology. We used have mostly 3 images when rendering, and still do in Rhino.
    A Color Map, or what we used to call a Diffuse Map, is now called ALBEDO.
    A Texture Map, or what we called a Bump Map, is now a NORMAL.
    and a Transparency Map, called the same but is now called a MATTE.
    That would get us by in the old days, but today most everyone is focused towards Gaming or Game Engines, and the highest render quality possible at the smallest computing cost, no longer using GPU but CPU rendering!

Take a look at this, which is a very recent game, using Unreal Engine 4 ( free by the way, Unreal, not the Game), that pushes the rendering way past anything before and in REAL TIME!

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CmrXK4fNOEo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now look at the mesh.. and see I took just a part of the mesh and only added some of the textures, in Rhino..

Senua-Rhino.jpg
    You have to remember Rhino only uses Albedo Bump and Transparency!

Under normal old timey rendering ie-raytraced of years past this would take hours to render!

Next time we start with some basics... in Rhino and in Blender

I have most other software but I will only do this TUT with those two. I highly RECOMMEND if you want to render your models GET BLENDER! IT'S FREE!! https://www.blender.org/
    zathros, Cybergrinder and bigpetr like this.
  2. Gandolf50

I forgot to assign homework! ( once a professor always a %&^%$) ;)

Go and read this stuff..will save time and get your feet wet, but don't have wet feet when reading this as something may short out or you might blow a fuse!

https://www.marmoset.co/posts/physically-based-rendering-and-you-can-too/

https://seblagarde.wordpress.com/2011/08/17/feeding-a-physical-based-lighting-mode/

https://www.fxguide.com/featured/monsters-university-rendering-physically-based-monsters/

no test..but at least when I say metalness or specular you will have heard of it!:)
    zathros, Cybergrinder and bigpetr like this.
  3. Cybergrinder

Cybergrinder Member Extraordinaire

4. Gandolf50

Part Two...
    Obviously there is a lot more involved with rendering than a simple TUT can explain! Google it once and run from the avalanche! But I am approaching it from the idea that you have a model... where you got it is your own business! No really, most people that render and do papercraft have , downloaded some model from some obscure site in upper Mongolia and don't have a clue what software it was made with, what/where the texture files are or where they are supposed to be, and those just starting have filled all the 3d sites with questions like" why don't my model have textures"??Help Me!! I can help some there and hope I can help you to dump those lousy textures and add your own, and actually make the model LOOK BETTER!

you need a few things.. a program (read first post again!)... a model ... ( a good model! ) if you have a triangulated 20 face version of the Millennium Falcon.. it's still going to look like triangulated 20 face version of the Millennium Falcon, not a movie scene when your done!! or more bluntly.. crap! Put a Mercedes emblem on a Pinto it's a .. you get the idea!! Learn how to use the internet search functions extremely well and perhaps you might just find a really good model of what you wanted.. be aware though..if it looks good on screen from where you download, it more than likely will not have the texture files with it! But bookmark this once we are done and hopefully I will have shown you how to deal with that.
    I will also keep updating my second post on homework, with LINKS to various things out there..Videos.. Resources,, Freebies that will come in handy.. I figure that should be a good place for them instead of scattered all over,,like my thoughts!

OK Lets assume you have a model, perhaps even one you MADE :surprise:, then we all ready know you have a program..duh! So... you do a render view.. not to bad huh? Could it be better, OCD LIKE ME, always! Or perhaps you downloaded one and it does nothing...DARKNESS!! BLACK!! NADA!!

Let's take Rhino 5 ( going to use 5 for now as 6 is too new)... in your render view, it is usually set up for default lighting.. which I have no idea what that really is as there are no lights, ambient light from nowhere ! Here is a look... gets you an idea...

Place holder... Boxnolight.jpg

and the same in Blender, though in Blender it has to be turned on!

More on that Later. when we can upload once again...
    zathros and Cybergrinder like this.
  5. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator Moderator

I am making this thread a "STICKY". As soon as I recover from the Tornado damage, I will start to practice it. Thanks!!
    Cybergrinder likes this.