best bang for the buck building kits?

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by jpcamb, Dec 22, 2003.

1. jpcamb

jpcamb New Member

I've recently started building an N scale layout. I have a bachman engine facility built and a "kitbashed" garage from extra parts from that structure but no other buildings.

I'm still active in HO and have built and detailed a few dozen kits in that scale and would now like to add some downtown structures to make an n scale town.

Are DPM buildings any good in N scale or is there someone else that makes good kits at the roughly 10 price point?

I don't like Pikestuff kits as I don't like trimming the walls and such to fit so anyone but them may work for me as well.

thanks for any help in advance!
    Jeff
  2. belg

belg Member

I have used several DPM kits and always had no problem with fit and the details are excellent in my opinion.
  3. Lenny53

Lenny53 New Member

Jeff;

If you've done these kits in HO then you know what they are all about. The detail painting required is naturally a little finer. I have done a complete block and am working on another for a 6' N-trak module.

Lenny :thumb:
  4. Bama Red

Bama Red New Member

I really like the DPM kits for several reasons:
    1. Very good quality
    2. Suits my time period (late 40's-early 50's)
    3. Easy to convert larger kits to flats for background structures
    4. Even in N-scale, kits are easily detailed
  5. uboat

uboat New Member

I stocked up on the mega cheap Bmann kits at the model expo closeout - these will be great for bashing large industrial structures.