Bamboo skewers.

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Jan 21, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I can't remember which thread I read it in, However there was the idea of using bamboo skewers as an uncoupling tool. It stuck with me for a while and I finally remembered to try one out. I grabbed a couple from the kitchen drawer and sprayed them with some dry graphite (I remember that it helps) and tried it out.

I gotta say that for such a simple and cheap idea they work incredibly well. The skewer is nice and long so your hand doesn't have to get any where near the car. And the sharp point easily inserts inbetween the couplers allowing you to easily "twist" them apart. Compared to one of those little handheld magnetic tools I picked up, the ones with two magnets that you have to hold in between the cars this is just brillient. I was never too impressed with the magnets either. Sorta hit and miss.

What a simple idea but effective use of a simple household item. Just part of the reason I thoroughly scan this board whenever I log on. You never know what sheer genius you'll come across in a thread. :mrgreen:

Cripes...leave it to me to go on for three paragraphs about bamboo skewers! sign1

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
When I was into N scale, I used to use a 20 penny nail. Fit perfect in the MT couplers.
Haven't found anything yet that would work for the HO scale, unless thats what the skewers are for.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I use skewers successfully with HO scale magnetic couplers. For the horn hook couplers I still have on a number of cars, a small hobby three sided mini file works great! Thanks for brining this up Tetters. I'm sure some modelers haven't tried the skewers yet.
Ralph

N

nachoman

I use skewers because i wanted to cut the "air hoses" off my couplers. Those "air hoses" would often get in the way.

Kevin

ASH630

Jan 19, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
Me and my dad both use bamboo skewers all the time, and my dad likes to operate the switching yards. They are great if you have to reach across a few rows of cars too because you can go in at an angle. Granted, we both model O scale but I am sure it would work ok in HO scale too. I dont know about N or smaller though.
ASH

chessie4155

Mar 17, 2006
Vincennes, Ind.
www.geocities.com
I've used the skewers for a good while now and they work great:thumb:
The neat thing about these if you should break one or the point on the tip, no problemo, just grab another one...there cheap and work great..
I used some 1/4 in dowls, cut about 6 or 7 inchs long, drilled a hole in one end , inserted the skewer in the hole , used the dowl rod as a handle...this really helped me to keep a better grip on the skewer..you can glue them in but it's better if you can make the hole just big enough to get the skewer in, that way if you should need to repalce it ,it's pretty easy.
Mark

train1

Jan 19, 2005
ontario
Skewers in N Scale work great - We use them at our club and I also use them at home. Cheap, disposable and unlike the 'official RIX uncoupling tool' - you are not gonna panic if you lose it during an ops session.

Skewers can be coloured also - to match operators' wardrobe.