Background material

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by Charles Mark, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Charles Mark

Charles Mark Member

I need to paint blue sky and clouds around room, approximately 23' of wall space. There are two corners. Benchwork and top have been completed for years finally am attempting to build something more than just temporary track. Question: If I don't paint walls do I use something like masonite connected together [rounding corners] to paint onto? I've never attempted a background before. Thanks for any input.
  2. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Hi Charles,
    A lot of us use masonite as a backdrop. I used 1/8" masonite that nicely curves around corners.
    Ralph
  3. Charles Mark

Charles Mark Member

Thanks Ralph. I'm wavering between either painting or buying scenic photo's that are in Walthers catalog. Any ideas or experience with the photo's? This being a first for me I am unsure myself. Thanks
  4. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Charles,
    http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=2906
    Take a look at this thread about painting backdrops...its relatively easy and yields great results. Wish I'd seen it before painting my backdrop! I know some folks here use photos etc and maybe they'll chime in.
    Ralph
  5. seanm

seanm Member

My last layout was built before I even though about a background... (Mistake)... but what I did worked out rather well. I bought some of the cheapest vinyl floor covering I could find, cut it into 18" widths and then painted the BACK sky blue. It can be seamed together with a splice joint and contact cement. It is flexable and can be cut around existing scenery with a razor knife. Worked for me.

Now that I am starting all over, the backdrop will be near the first step and I will likely use masonite.
  6. Charles Mark

Charles Mark Member

Thanks SeanM, I think masonite will work for me since I am just starting. I haven't decided whether to paint or use photo's though.
  7. SAL Comet

SAL Comet Member

Ha Charles, The masonite works good for bending around and hiding corners, just try to put the seams on one side of the corner or the other. The printed backdrops look really good and go up like wallpaper, but they are a little pricey, while the painted backdrop is cheaper and can be done to suit your individual layout. IMHO
  8. Charles Mark

Charles Mark Member

Thanks Scott. My estimate is I would need three sheets of masonite and the starting point would be perfect as the splices would be offset the corners. I see that the photo's are pricey but I may bite the bullet [so to speak] and try them first. I haven't looked in LHS's for them yet but would like to see the product first hand, otherwise I guess I order them from Walther's and hope for the best. They would be a quick fix if they look acceptable.
  9. SAL Comet

SAL Comet Member

Ha Charles, Have a look at this link-Backdrop warehouse they have tons of info on installation, a giant selection and pretty good pricing
  10. Charles Mark

Charles Mark Member

Scott......I checked out the Backdropwarehouse site and found it impressive, also discovered one of my LHS handles their product and had some samples to look at. I have my masonite up, w/rounded corners, waiting to be caulked and sealed. After much thought I ordered 24' [2 24" x 12'] A/B scenes yesterday. They are expensive but really look great. My wife thinks I'm nuts but I believe they will make a huge difference. Unfortunately they'll take two weeks to get here. Other than the "hit in the wallet" thanks for sharing the site.