Backdrops and Relief Structures

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
How much room do you leave from the edge of the backdrop and the centerline of the closest track? Is there a minimum "rule of thumb" as to how deep to make your relief structures? I am working on a plan now that is going to have backdrops and relief structures as industries.

Thanks

Collyn

Aug 18, 2006
Canon City CO
www.rankinrevolutions.com
I think I would agree although there are always those circumstances were it is hard to keep that amount of distance. I just installed a backdrop yesterday and there is one spot were it comes within an inch but it is just a very small section that would be the bottom of a valley.

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
Depends, how much you want to put there and what you want to use.

Try some ideas and look at it from all angles, 3, 5, or 8 inches may work. I would say when it looks good you you, then you have it.

Collyn

Aug 18, 2006
Canon City CO
www.rankinrevolutions.com
I depends too what is up against the back drop. Areeing also with gil finn you are primarily looking at the area straight on the distance doesn't need to bee enough and vice versa. How close together the relife stucturs are together and the hieght of the layout would also make a difference

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I think if it works for your layout then it works whatever you do. Here is a photo of a quarter inch thick structure I glued on a backdrop. Its made from a paper book kit for a
3-D building. I decided to spread all four walls out flat to make it bigger against the backdrop. The track is only a couple of inches away from the wall...just enough for clearance by passing locos and cars. I eventually added other structures in front of the track to attract the eye away from the close clearance.

http://www.the-gauge.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10586&stc=1&d=1067729822

Ralph

fseva

Nov 27, 2006
Yes... if...

91rioja said:
How much room do you leave from the edge of the backdrop and the centerline of the closest track? Is there a minimum "rule of thumb" as to how deep to make your relief structures? I am working on a plan now that is going to have backdrops and relief structures as industries.

:curse: I have to say that I am not that impressed with low-relief structures. Unless you have a way to disguise the side, your visitors won't be impressed. The best you can hope for is building the entire backdrop with low-relief structures so that they hide the sides themselves. And if this isn't practical, perhaps use a scenery "divider" at the exposed ends.

announce1Also, if you really want to get close to the back wall, do what I did - I kitbashed full depth structures by removing about 1/3rd of their depth. Then, at the exposed end, I used a drive-in carshop with a spur track going inside. All of the connecting structures are built the same way, with openings in their side walls to push cars into, so that what I had was a hidden siding that is only 2" from the wall!

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
fseva said:
:curse: I have to say that I am not that impressed with low-relief structures. Unless you have a way to disguise the side, your visitors won't be impressed. The best you can hope for is building the entire backdrop with low-relief structures so that they hide the sides themselves. And if this isn't practical, perhaps use a scenery "divider" at the exposed ends.

announce1Also, if you really want to get close to the back wall, do what I did - I kitbashed full depth structures by removing about 1/3rd of their depth. Then, at the exposed end, I used a drive-in carshop with a spur track going inside. All of the connecting structures are built the same way, with openings in their side walls to push cars into, so that what I had was a hidden siding that is only 2" from the wall!

You might try planting some trees at the ends of the buildings to hide the lack of depth. If you combine a full sized tree in front of a low relief tree on the backdrop behind, it may help the illusion you are trying for with low relief structures. Unfortunately, low relief structures are some of the compromises we need to make in our model railroads.

N

nachoman

You definitely don't want your trains casting shadows on the backdrop...

kevin