Back to square one.

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
Just when I thought I was going to get away with it, the boss says my mocked-up layout is too big.(see thread below) So the turn back loops are out, and I'm left with about 16" x 18' to work with, basically a big self layout. Anyone have a good point to point plan that would fit or be made to fit a space this size?

Might be able to keep the loop on the right since it's in a corner.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think Kalmbach's 101 Track Plans For Model Railroaders by Linn Westcott is still available. On page 6 there is a switching layout called the "Port Ogden & Northern RR."
It is 12" x 16'. You could easily widen and lengthen it. It has a yard ladder at one end that takes up the first 4 feet. The rest of the layout is industries and docks. I would suggest not adding more tracks as you widen and lengthen it, but rather add more space between tracks for scenery and structures. You might even want to eliminate some tracks to increase the size of industries. I think this layout would provide hours of operations switching out industries.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I remember liking the plan Russ referred to. Sorry to hear that continuous running is out but I think a modification of the PO&N might fit the bill nicely. I think if I were building a shelf switching layout I'd have an interchange track where I'd place cars that "came from off the layout". These would then be pullled off the interchange and moved to various nearby industires. A wharf would be cool on the front edge of the layout too! Good luck!
Ralpg

Hi SAL,

I've seen it written that you don't get what you deserve,
you get what you negotiate. :) :)

I think that this type of project has benefits for the whole family, and
it's certainly a productive activity with a lot of personal advancement.

Maybe there's something that "the Boss" wants :D :D :D or maybe
some other "bargaining chip" you could use!!!

Just a suggestion ... I don't mean to be stickin' my nose in your business :D
Good Luck :thumb: :thumb:

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
Ha Cid, I understand what you're sayin' but, I have to admit she's right, the mock-up did take up alot of an already small room. I'm also a man that picks his battles, and this ain't one that's worth the fight. I'll make it as big as I can and lobby for expansion later.

Jim Spaulding

Apr 25, 2004
Wildomar, CA
Visit site
Sal,

That's what I did. Started in a three car garage on the single side. Wife liked what I was doing and gave me the 2 car side for my current layout. With the new house just purchased, she's going to let me have the entire garage but she wants the appartment upsairs as a guest house/room for her mother.

It's give and take.

Jim

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
Ha Ralph and Russ, Thanks for the input on the plans from my last thread, I'm gonna keep that plan for the future.

The PO&N plan sounds good, is there anywhere I can get a look at something simular to it on the web?

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
SAL:
there's an intersting shelf switching layout in John Armstrong's Track Planning for Realistic Operation (Chapter 11, page 95 in my edition). I'm not sure if it's still available. Please PM me if you would like a scan of it.
A good shelf layout can always be included in a larger layout later on.
Make it look nice and maybe the authorities will encourage an expansion.

Jim Spaulding

Apr 25, 2004
Wildomar, CA
Visit site
Hi Sal,

Here are some shots of plans that I have gathered over the years. Maybe you could adapt one of them to what you like.

Attachments

• baanplan.jpg
    baanplan.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 209
  • CA3E8FZL.jpg
    CA3E8FZL.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 207
  • layout_phases.jpg
    layout_phases.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 205

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Ralph said:
I remember liking the plan Russ referred to. Sorry to hear that continuous running is out but I think a modification of the PO&N might fit the bill nicely. I think if I were building a shelf switching layout I'd have an interchange track where I'd place cars that "came from off the layout". These would then be pullled off the interchange and moved to various nearby industires. A wharf would be cool on the front edge of the layout too! Good luck!
Ralpg
Instead of taking up space for an interchange track on the plan, make the warf at one end a ferry boat landing with a barge full of cars. You could make a model barge on legs with wheels at layout level. Then you just load it up with your interchange traffic "from the mainland" and then send the existing cars off to the "mainland" on the barge's return trip. If the other end of the layout is built at a high enough elevation, you could create a parking space for the barge under that end of the layout for storage when it is not in use.

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
How 'bout a fiddle yard?

SAL, since you have 18 feet to work with, I would suggest taking a few feet at one end and making a fiddle yard. This is a place where you place cars and even whole trains by hand to bring them on to your layout. Fiddle yards can take different forms, but are usually not scenicked and are visually separate from the rest of the layout. Going back to your original idea, you could have a fiddle yard concealed by the tunnel. You could then model the yard and rock quarry on the "visual" portion of the layout. A train could be made up in the fiddle yard, go through the tunnel onto the main layout, switch the yard and industries, and either return to the fiddle yard or continue to a second fiddle yard or holding track at the other end of the layout.

This website, http://www.carendt.us/microplans/index.html, although the plans are intended for smaller areas than what you have, still has some good ideas for fiddle yards and other ways to store trains "offstage" on your layout. Look at the "shelf switchers" category on the left side.

Just something to think about.
John

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
Plan with one turn back loop

here's the latest shot at a plan the "boss" can live with. I tryed to incorparate some of you guys ideas from before, while sticking with me prototype. Removed the turn back loop on the left and the "shelf" is only 16" wide.

Attachments

• SAL 18-1jpg.jpg
    SAL 18-1jpg.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 164

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
These are easier to see- in the lower one there are three places where trains could enter or leave the layout. The two on the left would be the main line, and could be turned back toward the center of the room and run along the top of the knee wall of the stair well, where trains could be assembled or removed. The one on the right would run against the wall, and could be an interchange with the Southern Ry.

Attachments

• SAL 18-1.jpg
    SAL 18-1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 163
  • SAL 18-2jpg.jpg
    SAL 18-2jpg.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 154

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
This one has everything flipped

I think removing one of the turnback loops makes for better operation. Which plan do you guys think is best from an operational point of view. Or how can I make improvements?

Attachments

• SAL 18-3jpg.jpg
    SAL 18-3jpg.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 128