Bachmann Vanderbilt Tender

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
I just bought one of these tenders with the intention of using them with Athearn 2-8-2 and 4-6-2's. It is a beautiful tender BTW. After installing speaker and sound decoder I attempted to connect it to my Bachmann 2-8-0 to do some programming.(A motor or other similar load must be attached to decoder to program properly) Well, the sockets on the 2-8-0 and new tender don't mate! A call to Bachmann reveals that they changed from white plugs to brown. While a few swips with a file will allow connection, I need to locate the brown plugs so I can cut off the 9 pin DCC connector on the Athearn harness and replace with the Bachmann ones. This will give me all wheel pickup (the Athearn units only pick up with loco wheels) and a self contained sound system in the tender. Bachmann doesn't have the plug in stock, but they cost $30 when available!! This because it includes the harness and motor and lamp!!! Is it me or does it seem ridiculous to others that a tender sold seperately will be unable to be used with the socket built into it? Does anyone out there have an idea where I could try to obtain the mating plugs? thanks for any help

Gary

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
I guess no one else thinks it is ridiculous. Oh well, I am writing back to let anyone who was interested in buying one of these tenders that I was wrong, I found the mating connector hiding under the foam in the bottom of the box. If you plan to use the tender with your Bachmann units with the two connectors (one 2 wire and one 4 wire) and the housing of the connectors is white, you will need to file the small indexing tabs off. Or replace the original connectors with the ones in the box (wouldn't be my choice). I used the connectors to replace the 9 pin DCC connector at the end of the Athearn umbilical cord. I now have a 2-8-2 that goes woo woo. Just waiting on some Cal Scale parts to detail as Erie and then paint.

Gary