Bachman Steam locos

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Travellar, May 3, 2007.

1. Travellar

Travellar Member

I was just wondering how some of you feel about Bachman's steam locomotives. Right now I own five engines, but one of them is an Atlas SD-50 that has no place running alongside USRA designs. Of the other three, one is an 0-6-0 that came ina $60 kit, One is a 4-8-4 J Series that hasn't been right since I hamfisted a decoder into it's tender, the other two are a Spectrum series Mountain and USRA 2-6-6-2.

I can't seem to find any other manufacturers for N-scale steam, and the Bachmans run well on DC. Trouble is, Bachman doesn't seem too compatable with DCC chips, so tearing apart a $300 then going to work with clippers, a soldering iron, and in one case, a metal file, well those just aren't good expieriences.

Even with the troubles, I LOVE the way these engines look pulling freight around my still-too-barren table.

*let's see if I can figure out picture attachments in this forum...*
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Most people consider the Bachmann Spectrums to be top notch but generally frown on anything else Bachmann/Steam related. I'm not running any steam right now as a result. I can't justify $80-$120 for an engine with my current budget.
  3. davidstrains

davidstrains Active Member

Attached Files:

4. Travellar

Travellar Member

heck, if I can go to another vendor and get the same locomotives, but already DCC equipeed, I'll be in hog heaven. Especially since I think the decoder in my 2-6-6-2 died yesterday.

I don't care much for traction tires, as 1) they can lead to an unrealistic amount of traction, and 2) what's the point in having a 4' grade if you don't need the occasional helper locomotive?

And thanks for the tip. I was concerned about the 2-8-0 being a problem on my layout, as 8's tend to derail on some of my curves.
  5. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

Reember, not all 8-coupled engines are created equal. It has to do with rigid wheelbase, not so much number of drivers. Thus, a 4-8-4 will require broader curves than a 2-8-0, as 4-8-4s were usually passenger or at least dual-service engines and had driver diameters to match. A 4-6-4 may in fact need larger than the 2-8-0, as it will be a larger engine overall.
  6. davidstrains

Try Tony's if you want a decoder equipped loco. I forget what I paid a few years ago but it was less than $80.00.

I originally ran the 2-8-0's on an oval with Atlas 11" radius snap track before I had my layout complete and they did not derail. They even take the #4 Peco turnouts which are closer to 9 3/4" radius. Of course, they prefer the larger radii but can operate on a tabletop if necessary.
  7. Iron Goat

Iron Goat Member

Although it is a limited selection, check out MicroMark...

Bob
  8. Bones

Bones Member

I was never a fan in the past, but I have recently opened my eyes to Model Power steam. After seeing 4 different models of their steam run on a layout (brand new, out of the box at a hobby shop), I started buying them when they fit what I needed.

I now own 4 Model Power steam locos: 1 Mikado, 1 Pacific, 2 Special Edition sets.

Atlas used to make some steam locos. You can find them second hand, or new - old stock at good prices.
  9. myltlpny

myltlpny Member

I just bought a Model Power Pacific. I have to say, while it's not a Kato, it runs pretty decently.
  10. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

The problem I've encountered with both Bachmann and ConCor (the GS4) is derailing of the leading trucks. They don't like turnouts for sure!
    Is there any way to fix this - tightening the connections maybe?
  11. davidstrains

My experience with my 2-8-0's over the 200 ft of main and at least 20 turnouts (Peco 6 & 8s LHand and RHand) is different. The only problem that I had was when I put a turnout immediately after a curve. Moved the turnout to allow about 2" of straight track before turnout and the problem went away. I also did a light filing job on the points to smooth them into the stock rails. (Knocks on wood) They have run for hours with no derailing. I even have 2 curved turnouts(peco 8s) and they run thru them ok also.

I believe that if you tune the points a bit you will cure most of your leading truck problem. Be sure that the wheels and the turnouts are in gauge.

I don't know whether tightening the truck would help. Since I have not had the problem it is not something that I have tried. I would think that it would have an opposite effect by not allowing the truck to track freely. But I am not a technician so don't hold me to that statement.
  12. Travellar

Travellar Member

Hey, I think you just isolated one of the remaining problems on my layout, switches after a curve! Now I know what to tinker with if my problems resume.
  13. davidstrains

Hope it helps.:-D :-D