Attention: Toronto, Ontario Model Railroaders...

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Putting together a model train display...

Hey Gaugers,

I work at the Toronto Public Library, North York Central Branch.

I was just asked by one of the Children's Department Librarians if I could help put together a Model Railroading Display for the month of March.

The stuff will be in a locked glass case ~ 2' x ~ 4' with adjustable shelves. So if anyone is interested in supplying a diarama, micro layout or other stuff to display, please let me know.

The case is lighted and has an outlet for anything that you might want power for.

Thanks.

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Hi Val,

spitfire said:
What scale Ron?

Val

Thanks! :D

Any and all scales. This is for the North York Central Library Children's Department. Through the month of March.

It is supposed to be in support of a Thomas the Tank-Engine world tour. The author is touring Canada (And U.S.A.?) But unfortunatly won't be in Toronto in March. But the Children's Department still wants to set up a display about "Real" and Model Trains.

So Anything that you are willing to lend to the cause would be appreciated.

I'll put in some On30, HO and G-scale stuff. There will be some magazines and books as well.

But I don't have any sceniced stuff, just loco's and rolling stock. And most of it isn't very nice...

It turns out that the display case isn't as deep as I thought. Only about 16" or so... Instead of the 24" that I thought.

But it is almost 10' long... So it is a lot of space to fill...

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Ok, I thought this was meant to be an operating model, but it sounds like anything and everything train related would be helpful for possible inclusion. I have a CN 0-8-0 (HO) you could borrow (it's from a PC set so it's alright if it gets banged up in the process). I also have a brochure from The Canadian ca 1955, a short length (2 ft) of portable ballasted track, some NYC stock certificates, various HO buildings and some rolling stock. Let me know if any of this is useful.

Val

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Thanks Val!

spitfire said:
Ok, I thought this was meant to be an operating model, but it sounds like anything and everything train related would be helpful for possible inclusion. I have a CN 0-8-0 (HO) you could borrow (it's from a PC set so it's alright if it gets banged up in the process). I also have a brochure from The Canadian ca 1955, a short length (2 ft) of portable ballasted track, some NYC stock certificates, various HO buildings and some rolling stock. Let me know if any of this is useful.

Val

All of the above!

It will be in a locked glass display case. So nothing should get banged up... :thumb: :thumb:

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Some more information...

Hi Chris and Val, And any other local model train buffs,

The displays for the North York Central Library Children's Department are scheduled as follows.

For the Month of February, the display is being done "in-house"

Same for the Month of April.

This means that we have some real flexibility...

We can set up our Model and Real Trains display as early as Sunday February 30th.

And Remove the display as late as Sunday April 3rd...

The Children's Department will also supply some books and magazines, as well as printing some banners and signs...

We just have to let them know what they should say...

SteamerFan

Sep 3, 2004
TinGoat said:
We can set up our Model and Real Trains display as early as Sunday February 30th.
Hmm...when is that? Really this sounds wonderful, to bad I'm not up there to lend a hand.

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Clear the Track... The plans are unfolding...

Hi Val and Chris,

The Children's Department at the library is going to prepare a banner that reads, "Clear the Track"

I'm off work right now, while I am going through radio-active Iodine treatment for my Thyroid.

So, maybe we can get together next week to take a look at the display case and plan the display.

We'll talk to the Children's Librarians and, if you are both interested, we can possibly float the idea of doing a Saturday afternoon program/demonstration for the kids.

There's another local fellow that will be involved that is interested in helping out and doing an activity with the kids. So we can consider this.

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
It's done!!!!

A BIG Thank You to Val (Spitfire) and Chris (Interurban) for supplying some goodies for the Model Train Display.

They're the icing on the Cake.

I put together the display today and it looks pretty good. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I'll snap a couple of shots and post them later....

northern_blues

Jan 4, 2005
Aurora, ON
Too bad I don't have anything to give this time around but if it's successful and the library is interested in doing it again next year, I'd be interested in lending a hand or whatever.

I'm just starting out so I don't have much in the way of an inventory yet.

-Dave