Atlas Trainman?

Evan

Feb 9, 2004
Cape Town, South Africa
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I've recently been told about the Atlas Trainman items coming out in N scale later this year. I've also been told by someone that they're of an inferior quality / detail looks clunky etc etc. Does anyone have a review of them yet?

I saw a picture on nscalesupply, and I personally think they look fine. I also think they're a great idea, considering how much it costs to get things to South Africa.

See ya.
(from a COLD Cape Town)

3railguy

Sep 7, 2004
Kaukauna, WI
There hasn't been any review since the cars aren't out yet. They will use the Accumate coupler truck assemblies like their regular stuff. Much of the detail, however will be cast in and they won't have as much detail, if any, on the underbody. I'm sure there are some rivet counters who have a problem with this.

dwc13

Jul 5, 2006
Say what you want about the quality, detailing, etc. (or perceived / actual lack thereof) of many entry level items, but there's a reason why Bachmann is, I believe, one of the largest (if not the largest) sellers of model railroad items. Entry level products might not offer the realism, performance, or functionality of higher-end products, but as far as getting new people introduced to the hobby, Bachmann is way ahead of Marklin, Kato, BL, et. al.

I applaud Atlas for coming out with a more affordable line of model railroad items. There is definitely a large market for quality items at more affordable pricepoints. Hopefully others in the hobby industry (and specfically model railroading) will take note that they are not just competing against each other, but there are others (i.e., Sony, Microsoft, Apple, Brunswick, etc.) fighting to win the discretionary income of consumers.

Tough choice...water cooled, next-generation SLI motherboard or DCC system.

3railguy

Sep 7, 2004
Kaukauna, WI
What will bother me are those who will gripe about it's lack of detail. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

When all the rivets are there, they gripe about the price. There is a thread on another N scale forum written by an N tracker protesting the price of building 100 car trains is killing him. He goes on griping he can't get enough different car numbers that are correct for the cars. Good Greif! If your're gonna build 100 car trains that are prototypically correct down to the car number, it costs money.

umtrr-author

Dec 19, 2003
Visit site
The negative buzz you are hearing and reading is just the usual cry of the Eternally Unsatisfied.

Atlas Trainman is not even out yet and it's already being picked apart and declared DOA.

My advice: Ignore all that, and enjoy the hobby.

C

Catt

I don't have any of the N scale Trainman cars yet,but I've seen pics of some of them and I own three of the HO cars.I will have no trouble spending my money on the N scale versions.:D (I subscribe to the 3 foot rule)

ozzy

Jun 24, 2006
milton iowa
3railguy said:
When all the rivets are there, they gripe about the price. There is a thread on another N scale forum written by an N tracker protesting the price of building 100 car trains is killing him. He goes on griping he can't get enough different car numbers that are correct for the cars. Good Greif! If your're gonna build 100 car trains that are prototypically correct down to the car number, it costs money.

100 car train in N scale,,, my god, what kind of power them little engines put out!?!?

lol

pennman

Jul 2, 2006
clarksville, tn
affordable

You know it would be nice to have an affordable rolling stock especially for any kind of bashing or experimental type work. Besides the three foot rule applies and its my worls and I'm god if someone wants to count rivets the main line is 1/2 mile north.

ozzy

Jun 24, 2006
milton iowa
pennman said:
You know it would be nice to have an affordable rolling stock especially for any kind of bashing or experimental type work. Besides the three foot rule applies and its my worls and I'm god if someone wants to count rivets the main line is 1/2 mile north.

ok , heres a dumb question, but what is the 3 foot rule?