Atlas #6 Turnout

nolink5750

Oct 12, 2007
Anybody know what radius curve should come off a Atlas #6 Turnout to get it to run parallel with the main track? I know it has to be more than 19. Is that why they make flex track? I'm using code 80 if that makes a difference.

PWRR-2207

Rogue Islander
Oct 3, 2007
Rhode Island, USA
Adjustable but...

You can adjust the radius with flex but since you asked, here are some measurements:

2" separation between parallel track (good for fat fingers): 45 3/8" radius with a 7 17/32" straight piece attached to the turnout

1 1/2" separation between parallel track (NMRA recommended distance): 30" radius that is 4 31/32" long with a 2 9/16" straight piece attached to the turnout

Best bet - stick a 2" straight on the end of the turnout and use a piece of flex to create the curve (at least 5 inches long) as well as the parallel track section 1 1/2" away from the other track coming out of the straight end of the turnout. You should end up with about a 38" radius doing it that way without having to eyeball in thirty seconds of an inch...

N Scale Atlas Nr 6 siding.jpg

PS: Calculations based on the reported Atlas Code 80 #6 turnout having a 26" radius turnout. The #4 is reported as having a 18" radius turnout.

PWRR-2207

Rogue Islander
Oct 3, 2007
Rhode Island, USA
More ideas...

I just tried again but using some of my brother's MiniTrix sections with the Atlas turnout - Not going to happen. If have to do it with sectional pieces, change the #6 to a #4 and use an Atlas #2521 curve to get what is shown below.

N Scale Atlas Turnouts for Par Tracks.jpg

I usually use #6's in N and HO as crossovers. To do it with the Atlas pieces, use two #6's and a 1 1/4" straight (#2503) to get what is shown above.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
What I would do is take another turnout of the exact same type and hand and lay it down as if making a crossover (curved end to curved end), then trace where the rails go onto the roadbed. This gives you at least a compatible curve. You'll need flex track to match the curve.
If the spacing isn't wide enough for you, add some straight.