Are you having FUN

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
This is just for a bit of fun, but are you enjoying making your Railroad, or do you get bored sometimes and leave it alone for a few days.

Myself, I enjoy every minuet of each day that I am doing something to it.
What are your thoughts.

Shamus

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Shamus,
Never out of boredom ! I have left a project for over five years, but that was a case of I didn't like the way it was turning out, and needed the inspiration to make it right.
The railroad sometimes has to wait its turn while I devote time to other projects. Right now, I am rebuilding the schooner Phantom, and scratch building a parallel project, a schooner in 1/32 scale.
I got some sub roadbed cut for the three new modules, did some research on an outside frame 3' gauge 2-6-6-2 that is in progress,
have ongoing research into the materials, and construction technique for HO scale willow trees.
There's an SD90MAC project waiting to start, an SD40T3 (Bessimer) in progress, an Arbour models Allegheny that needs all new frames to go with the correct size drivers( this will be fully equalized), and a drive mechanism for the MDC two truck Shay.
Then there is the ongoing detailing of the three modules I've posted photos of, and shows to take them to.
When work on a project becomes too repetitive, I have other projects with different "skill requirements" to keep things interesting and enjoyable.
I love building models, and model railroading provides the variety that keeps life "spicey". Oh,, and the Lake County Model railroad Club, where I am a member, has started a project replacing almost a third of the layout. I'll have to set aside some time for that too !
Pete

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
mrgooch,
That's the one !
I got the model already assembled, and damaged. I did some fast patchwork, so I could figure out the rig. The original builder didn't do that great a job, the running lights are lashed to the fore shrouds, instead of being maunted on stantions, as you have done. Nice work ! This is an entry level kit, and the rigging instructions are designed for the new shipmodeler. Because of this the rigging does not follow actual practice. I am re-rigging the model, and replacing the broken pieces. At the same time I'm doing the 1/32 scale model, which will be rigged the same way.

Attachments

• schooners.jpg
    schooners.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 158

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Well, when I had a layout I did enjoy working on it. In fact, I think I enjoyed working on it more than running trains!

I'm having a good time with planning and brainstorming on my new layout. I'm hoping to do some things better this time around--make it more reliable and interesting.

-Rory

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
I'm more into the painting of engines and cars, I have been working a little on the lay-out. I could realy care less if any trains ever ran on the lay-out. But that might change once I get this lay-out up and running again.And wiring the service yard isn't going to be a picnic.

Its all fun and games till you crawl under the table a start wiring.:D :D

Shane

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Find all aspects of model railroading enjoyable and relaxing, more so on the building and construction. Great way to unwind after a tough day at work. Can never seem to get enough free time to complete everything and that gets a little frustrating. My back porch layout is on hold. Joined a local "N" scale group and have been pouring all my free time into constructing two modules for the upcoming show next Sunday. I AIN"T A GONNA MAKE IT :( The attached pictures are where I am tonight. Oh well the next show after that is September, that looks okay:) :)

Attachments

• mvc-010s.jpg
    mvc-010s.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 125

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Shamus;

I think my enthusiasm ebbs and flows. Much of that is either due to my lack of time to work on it or when I have hit a snag and can't get it figured out. I think that was the case for so long with trying to get wiring straightened out that I am really having a difficult time getting back with the program. With summer coming on and lots of outside work to be focused on (we live on ten acres, with a garden, lots of mowing etc). What will bring me back to it I hope is when it really gets hot out, the nice cool basement where the layout sits will be a welcome retreat.

I guess if all the truth be known, if I could wish someone in here to take care of all the wiring so I could finish laying the track in the yards and get started on the scenery I would be okay, but right now I'm definitely on the ebb side of things.

Like several on here I like to run the trains. I probably lost a couple of months of work while I juryrigged some of the electric so I could check out my engines, etc. Now I am back under the benchwork banging my head while trying to get the wiring right for the DCC I bought. I'm sure I'll love it.....someday:rolleyes:

Bob

I suppose if I actually started building it might help! :eek: I finally ordered some track and I need to get off my lazy posterier and go out and get the foam too. I've just been debating starting the trackwork or starting DCC conversion, and neither ones happening. Nothing except for a lot of armchair railroading that is...

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
I have a kind of "obsessive" personality - ask my wife. For the first six months in the hobby, I lived and breathed trains. I've scaled back considerably, and have far more locos and cars than I'll need over the next long while (except for special purchases, no doubt).

Still very much enjoy it all, though. That being said, it's WARMING UP (finally!!!); should be warm enough this weekend to do some rearranging and tossing-out in the garage to prepare a space for my 7x10 layout out there.

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Well, I'm experiencing a temporary "ebb" in my enthusiasm... I just spent the better part of this evening cleaning my old track, removing the track pins and joiners...and I have a horrible pain in my back and my fingertips hurt. :(

Tomorrow, however, I'll be back in the "flow" I'm sure! :)

-Rory

Dave Flinn

Dec 26, 2000
Lansing, NY USA
www.lehighvalleyrr.com
My enthusiasm, too, ebbs and flows, pretty much as any normal person, I guess (if any of us can be considered "normal"). As many of you here know, I have no operating layout, at present, but the plans are in my head (and soon to be on paper, I hope). I, too, am an operating guy; and there are times when getting to that point seems almost hopeless; but I haven't given up yet. After being "into" trains for over 50 years, with no layout for the last 40 or so, I guess I can wait a little longer!

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Shamus,
Add one more project to the list. You hinted in another thread that I should maybe do a bobber caboose? How about a single sheathed, or outside braced bobber? I knew I had an old bobber frame around somewhere. Project underway.
Pete

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Pete et al;

Talk a little here about bobber cabooses if you would please. Who used them? I assume they weren't used for long haul at all. Mining operating, logging operations, short lines???

There is a really outstanding picture of one inside the back cover of the March 2002 MR. I think there may have been an article about this particular bobber at another time showing how it was built. I wouldn't want to have had to ride very far in it:D :D or they would have had to stop for more than coal and water:rolleyes:

Bob

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
I guess I have to say --- In the immortal words of "Sherlock Holmes" - When you have explored all avenues of possibilities,

what ever remains,

how ever improbable,

must be the answer. -

Okay, I’ve explored all avenues of possibilities in model railroading,

looked at the remains of many a torn down railroad,

thought how improbable it would be to better the last layout,

then come up with the right answer.

Badger Creek is almost my 45th layout that I have built either for myself or other people. (THIS HAS GOT TO STOP -- BUT I LOVE IT)
This has to be my last layout. LOL.