Anyone have a schematic of Atlas 220 Controller?

dbogot

Feb 10, 2008
Northern Illinois
I am very curious about the internal wiring of the Atlas #220 controller. I saw a page from a book (page 55 of "Easy Model Railroad Wiring" by Andy Sperandeo, 1999) that showed an internal schematic, but about 10 seconds of testing proved that diagram was WRONG!

I have come up with what I think is the correct internal wiring diagram, but I don't feel like taking my controller apart to verify it...

Can someone post a picture or a link? Thanks.

dbogot

Feb 10, 2008
Northern Illinois
Must be a tough question...

Wow, still no replies!

I actually contacted Andy Sperandeo, the author of the book with the wrong schematic (who happens to be the editor of Model Railroader...), and sent him my schematic which was reverse-engineered based on continuity tests.

I am hoping he contacts Atlas and gets the absolute correct answer, but I'm willing to bet that I am right...

I've attached my version, if anyone cares to comment...

Attachments

• Atlas Controller Schematic.pdf
    13.9 KB · Views: 139

dbogot

Feb 10, 2008
Northern Illinois
Rocket Surgery, Eh? That's a good one! :)

Andrew, you mentioned an "official" schematic - may I ask what are you referring to? I have never seen any schematic of the internals of a Controller, except the incorrect one from Sperandeo's book, and my own.

Am I missing something? (it certainly wouldn't be the first time!) Sperandeo had mentioned that there was a schematic published in Atlas' "The Complete Atlas Wiring Book", but I have been unable to find that book to purchase - everyone is out of stock (including Atlas). Please let me know if you have any other schematic, I'm just dying to know! Thanks very much.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
By "official", I was referring to the one in Andy's book... It makes sense that Atlas would have one too, now that I think about it hamr.

My point was basically that maybe you are not getting a response because no one has gone to the trouble you have in creating a new version. Therefore all that is available is what is published. I assume (rightly or wrongly) that the one used by Andy would have been supplied by Atlas, and therefore also be incorrect...?

Sorry for the confusion.

Andrew

dbogot

Feb 10, 2008
Northern Illinois
Can't wait to buy Atlas book

Sperandeo did not say if his schematic came directly from Atlas' book, but I find it hard to believe they would be wrong about their own product...

Anyway, I greatly appreciate you sending the link - I am going to order Atlas' wiring book right now.

BTW I see you're from Ottawa - are you a Senators fan? I'd like nothing more than to see the Blackhawks play the Sens in the Stanley Cup Finals!! (of course, I'd settle for a playoff appearance at this point)...

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Sperandeo did not say if his schematic came directly from Atlas' book, but I find it hard to believe they would be wrong about their own product...
Stranger things have happened...! ;)

BTW I see you're from Ottawa - are you a Senators fan? I'd like nothing more than to see the Blackhawks play the Sens in the Stanley Cup Finals!! (of course, I'd settle for a playoff appearance at this point)...
At the risk of having something (virtually) thrown at me, I'll say I am not a fan, and don't really follow any professional sport-ertainment of any kind...

Anyway, I greatly appreciate you sending the link - I am going to order Atlas' wiring book right now.

Glad to help - good luck with the project and the schematic!

Andrew

dbogot

Feb 10, 2008
Northern Illinois
Got It!!

As it turns out, the Walthers site referred me to a local hobby shop that was out of stock on the book, and they said it would take a few weeks to get if I ordered direct.

By pure chance, I was driving somewhere and passed another hobby shop - I stopped in, AND GOT THEIR LAST COPY!!!

The book did have the schematic, which is in fact functionally identical to the one I created, but the mainline direction switches are configured slightly differently (theirs are custom made, of course; one probably would not be able to find a separate component slide switch available that works the same way - if you wanted to build your own Controller from separate parts, you'd probably have to follow my schematic, or use 2-pole 3-position ROTARY switches in place of the mainline direction slide switches).

In any event, I got the answer and my curiousity is satisfied!!

Thanks very much for your help!

BTW, I have attached the "official" Atlas schematic. Credit to "The Complete Atlas Wiring Book".

Attachments

• Atlas Controller Schematic - From Atlas Book.pdf
    14.7 KB · Views: 110