Anybody modeling a prison?

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
I was wandering aimlessly down the information super highway and came across this cartoon. What a great idea for a scene, especially if you have a prison on your layout. I don't have a prison, but will have a jail. Since I'm modeling the Old West, circa 1880, I was planning on having a a good old fashioned jail break. I may have to rethink it and move the jail a little closer to the tracks. With a little work, I'll bet one of my fellow Gaugers could come up with a way to animate the guy so he pops up just as the train is approaching and drops at the last possible minute. Any takers?
Doc

Attachments

• escape.jpg
    escape.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 165

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Doc

My wife works in a state prisons and I was amazed at what is involved with running one particularly before 1960. They were cities on to themselves. They grew their own food, made all their clothing, and generated their own electricity and heat. Many of them treated their drinking water. Many of the raw materials that they needed were brought in by rail. Also many of their surplus products were sold on the outside or given to other prisons.

The prison my wife works at had a small yard and was accesses off a lightly used branch line. They would receive several coal drags a month for their power plant. Tank cars for the water treatment plant, lumber for the wood shop, leather and other materials need by their shoe factory. Also there was grain and feed for the livestock and other items that they required. When the prison shut down the power plant, got rid of their livestock, and began using trucks the branch line lost its reason for being and was abandoned. The right-of-way for the branch line is still there today, now it is a bike trail. The right-of-way for the yard and siding into the prison is still visible today. Also a large bridge across the creek remains in place.

A prison would be a great addition to a layout because of all the opportunities for loads in and out.

Of course my rambling doesn’t answer your challenge. :rolleyes: :D

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
Doc Holliday said:
With a little work, I'll bet one of my fellow Gaugers could come up with a way to animate the guy so he pops up just as the train is approaching and drops at the last possible minute. Any takers?
Doc
shouldn't be too hard to rig up something like what you want, just depends on how intricate you want to get (electronic, mechanical, etc)

dash10 said:
Why bother to lower him? Fred
Train vs a real person, no contest. Train vs LPB could be disasterous :D :D :D

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
I've seen other threads where some layouts are having trouble with their LPBs. Having a prison on the layout could be an incentive for them to keep to the straight and narrow. :eek:

Pitchwife said:
Train vs a real person, no contest. Train vs LPB could be disasterous :D :D :D

Especially if it's a hardened criminal! :D (Sorry, I couldn't resist!)