Another "Do you REALLY need another engine?" conundrum!

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
LongIslandTom said:
I'm pretty happy with the locos... The Atlas B40-8s are DCC-ready (has the standard 8-pin plug), so I can drop in some nice decoders in the future when I go DCC. The two Conrail units are detail-accurate to the prototypes, so I won't have to add anything-- Spray on some weathering and I'm good to go.

$200 for four high-quality engines-- Not bad I think. :D

good prices!

the only thing i'd like to point out about the B40-8s is that soon after being purchased, (before the decals on the nose i think) they replaced the small nose grabiron with 2 upside down L grab irons on the nose that would have bent around over the top of the decal and the sides. you can see them on the protoype. Its a pretty big part of the B40-8s that make them unique on Conrail.

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Hey Green,

Yeah I noticed that on some of the more recent photos of the CR B40-8's.. I think they started adding them in the late '80s early-90's, right? I got a shot of the then-new B40's back in 1982 and they didn't have those modified nose grabs yet:

showPicture.aspx

If I want to convert them to the '90s era it shouldn't be too difficult I think.. Centerpunch a few pilot holes, drill them through with a #79 drill, and bend a few pieces of brass .012" wire to fit. :thumb:

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
LongIslandTom said:
Hey Green,

Yeah I noticed that on some of the more recent photos of the CR B40-8's.. I think they started adding them in the late '80s early-90's, right? I got a shot of the then-new B40's back in 1982 and they didn't have those modified nose grabs yet:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=70620

If I want to convert them to the '90s era it shouldn't be too difficult I think.. Centerpunch a few pilot holes, drill them through with a #79 drill, and bend a few pieces of brass .012" wire to fit. :thumb:

Yeah i hope to do that pretty soon on mine.