Another cardboard "draft"

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
As a further experiment with this "scratch building" part of the hobby I thought that I would try to do a structure based on a picture. This is a rough representation of the "Berghoff Brewery", A PM kit that I found in the Walthers catalog. My measurement reference is the "shamus structure' that I did before. This took about 4 evenings to plan, draw cut and glue but I think I am beginning to like it. I am using the cardboard mockup to position structures and scenery as I get ready to add the plaster & foam to the layout. I am hoping for a "Scratchbuilding supply train" to arrive under the tree this year with the stripwood, windows, doors, etc., so I can do this stuff for real.:D

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 307

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
and a final view. BTW, I made the "water tank" by soaking a strip of cardboard in water for about 10 minutes and wrapped it around the cap of a magic marker. Held it in place with rubberbands until almost dry and then cut it to size. I glued it with Elmers and held it together with a wire rap until dry:)

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 292

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
David,
You made a great job of that. I think the difficult part of drawing up plans using a photograph as a reference is getting the aspect ratios reasonably correct.
I've just about finished my first N scale cardboard structure (to enter into the Stucture Contest) and am putting together a small diorama as it's setting.

Some notes for would-be scratchbuilders working from photos:-
1) Loading bays are typically about 5ft off the ground.
2) Ceiling/floor heights of multi floor buildings are typically 11ft to 12ft high.
3) Windows can be assessed from plastc models already in your possession.
4) External doors.... same as 3) above but are typically 3ft to 4ft wide and 7ft high.

I have a passion for old-time timber buildings and find a roof pitch of 45 to 47 degrees gives a pleasant roof style.

I've found that the "cerial packet" card is perfect for N gauge structures. Thanks go to Charlie, Tyson and Matthyro for introducing me to this medium.

As you are about to find out David, repetitive work like windows and doors can be a real pain in the butt, but well worth the patience to make them.

I like your innovation at how to make a water tank!! :) :) I just instructed my wife NOT to throw out any old pens and their like!!:D :D

Shingles are my next problem. I printed out a scaled down scan of shingles but my printer didn't have the resolution to put sufficient colour into them at the size they turned out to be. (back to the think tank :D :confused: :confused: )

I'm a modeller who thinks "near enough is close enough" and I suspect that printed cladding is likely to be just as aesthetic in N gauge as actual scribed or stripwood. I'll try it some day.

Do be sure to post pictures of your brewery when you've finished it (every layout should have one :D :D ) . It looks real good so far.

Errol

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi David, Excellent my friend, now the scratchbuilding bug has got you also:rolleyes::D
Shamus
wink.gif

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Errol, "Shamus", Tyson, and Tom,

Thanks for the comments and encouragement. Yes I think the bug bit big time. It was a lot of fun making that happen. Now I want to do more. I just downloaded several "photo tours" of the F&SM, that I think next to the G&D has to be one of the "Modeling Wonders of the World". I saw some things that I might like to "adapt". I guess everyone takes a lesson from the FSM.

I am taking a break for a week or so to get the house ready for Christmas Decorations so no more "cardboard cutting" for a while.:( I am cleaning the bench work preparing to put dowm the plaster and foam. I'll keep you posted on progress:) :)

thanks again guys:) :) :)

n-scaler-dude

Nov 22, 2002
Lebanon, MO
Visit site
David, nice looking mockup!

So that's how you guys start your structures, make a cardboard one first. I've always been a "measure once, and keep cutting until it's right" kind of person. Probably why I've always got gaps and non-fitting parts.

I'll have to try a little preparation next time.:D :D

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Originally posted by davidstrains

taking a break for a week or so to get the house ready for Christmas Decorations so no more "cardboard cutting" for a while.:(

Well, I tried to stay away but while I was cleaning the track area I found a spot where a building needed to be and I knew that I could not find a kit that would fit and somehow that fool knife ended up on my hand and a piece of cardboard just flew onto the work surface and I just couldn't help myself:eek: :eek: :eek: :D

What came out of it was a little depot/freight station that will serve a little community. Here is the result of that episode.:) :)

Shamus, You didn't tell me that this stuff is habit forming!!! I have work to do:) :) :)

Attachments

• ttown station.jpg
    ttown station.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 196

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
:D :D They're great David, that bug really bites once you start huh? :D
As long as there's cardboard, glue and a sharp knife handy these buildings will continue to multiply :)

If you run out of cerial packets, the withdrawal symptoms can be hell!! :eek: :) :D

Errol

Hehehe, just thinking that it's a scratchbuilder's dream when they have kids that eat the cereal. I have four of them and man, they give me plenty of material to scratchbuild from. I especially like it when those CD's come included in the cereal. All for $3.98 the kids get a CD, cereal, and I get about 5 structures. Got to like it. With today's prices of kits and such, we all have to resort to something in order to keep going in the hobby.

rich maiorano

Apr 27, 2002
levittown pa
Originally posted by shamus
Hi David, Excellent my friend, now the scratchbuilding bug has got you also:rolleyes::D
Shamus[

well it got me too well done david love pss got plans got lots of cardboard too and wood too:D :D :D :eek: :eek: rich

ps and the wife rolls her eyes again:eek: