And So, Work Begins On The Logging Area...

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
After all the great suggestions, tracklaying has started on my small logging area. Here is a shot of the cork laid. As I'm so cheap, I just buy it by the foot at my local Revy Home store. Push pins hold it in place until it's dry. Since I have all that glue about, I tossed some sand down just for the texture.

Attachments

• mrlm cork goes down.jpg
    mrlm cork goes down.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 193

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Looking good

Aha, now Steve, your well into your logging area now. that tree stump, is that going to be where the heel boom will be later on.

Shamus
wink.gif

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Next Up...

Shamus--So far, I think yes, the heel boom will go there. Of course, anything can happen.

Jon--Thanks!

The next step for me was to cut and stain the ties. Instead of last time when I tried to stain each tie individually with a paint brush, this time I dipped them en masse into a jar, shook them up, and let them sit a while to soak up the stain. They were then driedand placed down mostly just to see what I was going to do. Happily, the track centre line was not totally covered by the latex paint.

Attachments

• mrlm cork painted2.jpg
    mrlm cork painted2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 160

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Glue 'Em Down!

Next step was to glue down the ties. While I had all this white glue all spread out anyway, I took the opportunity to spread ballast as well. While I've not seen this done by others, it seemed like a good idea.

Attachments

• mrlm ballasted.jpg
    mrlm ballasted.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 158

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Spike Delivery...

First track was laid and spiked. After having spiked the rail too far to one side on my display diorama, I tried to be more careful with the rail placement this time.

Attachments

• spike delivery.jpg
    spike delivery.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 162

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Both Rails Laid...

As I laid the second rail, I was very careful to try to make sure that the gauge was correct. Using the ubiquitous NMRA track gauge and an HO car allowed constant checking as the rail was laid.

Attachments

• both rails down.jpg
    both rails down.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 147

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Testing...Testing...!

The little Porter chugged happily up and down the short stretch of track. So much still to do, but I feel that I actually accomplished something today.

Now...what about those blue cliffs?

Attachments

• porter on first track.jpg
    porter on first track.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 146

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
Re: Spike Delivery...

Originally posted by Lighthorseman
First track was laid and spiked. After having spiked the rail too far to one side on my display diorama, I tried to be more careful with the rail placement this time.

Your track is looking really good. Funny that you had problems keeping your track aligned on you diorama. I had exactly the same problem on my little test layout, seems to be a "beginners problem" :)

http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4345

I think that ballasting immediately while the glue is wet is the right way to do it. I didn't do it as I was not sure how to weather it afterwards, but I will do it next time.

Again, looking really good.

Jesper

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Ground "Goop"?

Thanks, Pete! Having seen your work, I take that as a serious compliment.:)

There was a thread about ground "goop", and I remember someone mentioned using a cellulose-type insulation. I tried this and was not happy. While it is likely GREAT for larger areas, it just didn't work here. It clumped up and I think that I had wanted something with a finer texture. Due to it's bulky nature, I think that this stuff definitely has uses...

Attachments

• ground goop.jpg
    ground goop.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 129

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
What I wound up doing...

So,I ended up making a mixture of sifted dirt, white glue and water. I stirred it all up, and was able to spread it about with a spoon. I hope to be able to cover it in most places, and still be able to have "bare" spots where the dirt shows right through. It was also very handy for filling in the transition between the cork and the plywood, something the cellulose insulation simply could not do.

Attachments

• dirt ground goop2.jpg
    dirt ground goop2.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 128

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Well, I didn't get too much done today, but that's what happens when you're up at 5:00 in the morning. Methinks we're getting close to rock time. Here's a mockup.:)

Attachments

• dirt ground goop.jpg
    dirt ground goop.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 120

Jim T

Jan 25, 2003
Warrenton, OR
www.freewebs.com
Looks great, Steve. Please keep the progress pics coming. They really help a newbie like myself understand the whole building process. What a great time to be learning a new hobby what with all the great on-line info available.

Cheers, Jim