Amtrak Shutdown 5-25-06

The government can't do anything right. With the high cost of gas and airlines going bankrupt, I guess it's time to buy a bike! I did hear some railroads are actually concidering starting passenger service again! They would have to invest billions of dollars in high speed trains. But I wouldn't mind a slower EMD FAB with RIL Rocket Scheme or a Southern Crescent! That would be nice!

Andy

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Power outages happen--it's interesting that when Amtrak has a problem it's the government's fault, but when a private railroad company has a problem it's just part of doing business.

Which railroads are considering restarting passenger service--do you have any sources other than "I hear so-and-so"? Amtrak has a better cost recovery rate than any other national rail service--partially because we are the only country that thinks passenger rail pays for itself--so why does it receive such grief, even from railfans?

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Then maybe it's time for people to stop believing the big lie. It was never true, and all the fist-shaking and hand-wringing in the world won't make it true. Perhaps this power outage is a result of all the "deferred maintenance" (a polite term for "don't fix anything, because there's no money for repairs") because of overly lean Amtrak budgets.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
jetrock said:
Then maybe it's time for people to stop believing the big lie. It was never true, and all the fist-shaking and hand-wringing in the world won't make it true. Perhaps this power outage is a result of all the "deferred maintenance" (a polite term for "don't fix anything, because there's no money for repairs") because of overly lean Amtrak budgets.

That's the problem..You still have folks believing the big lie after 35 years and want to keep dumping money into a system that has proved it can not be profitable for the last 30 years-allowing the first 5 years for organizing etc.

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
Passenger Service has never really been profitable on its own.

Just as oil is becoming scarce, we're throwing away out BEST choice for city-to-city transport in an era of shrinking resources -- passenger rail. Jetliners have maybe another decade or two at most before becoming impractical.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
screwysquirrel said:
Passenger Service has never really been profitable on its own.

Just as oil is becoming scarce, we're throwing away out BEST choice for city-to-city transport in an era of shrinking resources -- passenger rail. Jetliners have maybe another decade or two at most before becoming impractical.
Airlines have never been practical. If the government didn't pour massive subsidies into the airline system, subsidies big enough to fund two or three Amtraks, a ticket from L.A. to NYC would cost at least $3000.00 per person each way. By the way that was the number that was estimated for the cost of passenger airline service a few years ago before $3.00/gallon gas.