Airbrushing on White Metal

camelot

Jan 12, 2003
Perth Western Australia
Visit site
I have recently finished a white metal Shay kit and wish to airbrush this model using Floquil paints.

Since this is the first white metal kit i have painted i was wondering if there are any preparations proir to air brushing apart from washing the metal before painting.

Should i use a primer or undercoat ?

I will be air brushing the model using the colour Weathered Black.

Cheers

Ian

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
The primer does two things, it provides a better surface for the finish coat, and it provides an even, neutral color for the final coat to go over. This makes the finish coat more even, and helps it hold better.
Pete

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Just wondering here, but are painted metal models supposed to have the paint baked on in an oven?

If so, be sure to get the right info - that means DO NOT ASK ME!! :D

I'll bet that one of the local painting gurus could answer that.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
camelot said:
I have a bottle of Floquil 110601 Zinc ch.primer , is that the right one , look a rusty red/brown colour?

had it for ages never used it.

Cheers

Ian

That not really a primer, its a color used for simulating the color of something like an unpainted steel bridge. Floquil primer is grey but if you don't have any automobile primer in a spray can will work just fine. Just use a light coat.

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Depending on your final color, be careful of your primer color. If you have a light final color (white, yellow, lighter reds and oranges) a dark grey will bleed through. Of course if it's a shay to be painted black, any grey will do.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Glen Haasdyk said:
Depending on your final color, be careful of your primer color. If you have a light final color (white, yellow, lighter reds and oranges) a dark grey will bleed through. Of course if it's a shay to be painted black, any grey will do.

Yes indeed, yellow and orange are especially transparent colors. They should always be primed with white. Floquil doesn't make a true primer in white but the white color should work fine. If you do want a true white metal primer try using one of the white primers for painting those metal role playing figures. GHQ is one brand that comes to mind.

I've all but retired my Floquils paints in favor of the Polly Scale (not Polly S) paints. They stick to most anything like glue and have a much better finish to them and unless a primer is needed for the purpose of preventing bleed thru you really don't need to use a primer with them.

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Actually, I've found that the only good primer for gloss white and Gloss Yellow are the flats of the respective colors. Even flat white will bleed through gloss yellow, making it the most difficult color to paint.

Chessie1973

Nov 22, 2003
Tacoma, Washinton
Visit site
You could perhaps consider looking into the spray can primers availible for wargame type metal figurines found in some book stores and comic book shops that sell those games as well.

The primer is specifically designed to go on in thin coats (1 or 2) and not lose the minute details on those figurines. It also comes in a white color.