age of Model RR pieces?

jaijef

Sep 23, 2005
Tennessee
Hello all,
I know this topic has been revisited many times but I would like to revisit one last time.
Sorry.

I bought a Roundhouse Products Harriman style RPO in St. Louis-Southwestern colors the other day. I did not see in the instructions or on the box anything to tell me when (year) this model was produced.
Is there a way to find out?

thank you for your assistance in advance.
Sincerely
Jaijef

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Its hard to tell what year manufacturers produce a model.
They make specific models in batches. They may make one model in one year and not release it again for a couple of years, sometimes with newer tooling, better detail ect...Even if the instructions have a copywrite date on it, it would be hard to tell, (unless the instructions were updated with the model) because the instructions might of been originally printed for the very first run.
If the box says "Roundhouse Golden Age",it was done after Athearn bought out Roundhouse. Anything before would be hard to tell.
Good luck on your research.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Are you asking when Roundhouse produced the model or when the prototype was built? I think the Harriman cars were first built in the late 1920's, but I'm not completely sure since I'm not a S.P. modeler.

wjstix

Nov 18, 2004
I have a book on the history of Athearn that goes over when each car and engine was first made, when different versions came out, and what the boxes looked like in different periods. I've never seen one, but there might be something similar out there for MDC/Roundhouse?? Maybe a website?? Otherwise it would be pretty hard to tell, the Harriman cars were around when I started modelling in the 70's.