Advice needed on spur

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
After making a runaround in my industry area, it needed one more spur.

Here are three possibilities for the spur.

I've just laid track on top of each other, one curves right, one goes straight, one goes left.

The big piece of styrene on the left is the approx dimentions of my furniture factory, so any one will work

The question is which one looks best?

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 195

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi S.S.!
My suggestion for a factory would be get yourself a couple of kits, & put them together...I've always found that to be a great way to fit something into a space...plus it's more interesting than something right out of the box. Remember, it doesn't have to say 'furniture factory' on the box, for you to nake it into one!
Here's a little factory I made from some DPM walls, & pieces from a couple of Model Power kits...
http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2368&highlight=Tyson+Tool
Also...another suggestion...this is entirely up to you...but if it were me, I'd get rid of one leg of that triple spur...it would give youi more room for structures, scenery, etc...
Keep us posted on how you make out on the furniture factory!:)

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
I prefer the left spur, mainly because it leaves the most open space (on the right). Another thing to consider, I guess, would be which one would give the best viewing angle of the new furniture factory.

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
SS, I vote for the one going straight. The one that turns right is out because to put the factory next to the rail, you might have issues with it being to close to the rails above. The one turning left will work too, but it ends rather close to the rails as you will have to accomodate the curve, so that leaves the one going straight. ;) Plenty of room there for the building and space left over for parking lots and semi's and what not.

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
charlie

Charlie: Thats not a 'triple spur' its 3 possible angles for *one* spur.

Billk: that is the DPM 'Goodnight Matress Co' that will be my factory. Your suggestion of keeping the left spur will be taken under advisment, awaiting a majority opinion :D

SD70BNSF

Aug 11, 2003
St. Louis, MO
Visit site
My vote

I vote for the straight spur. Move the building to align with the track (like it looks like now with the left spur). This will open up some space between the hill and the front of the factory for maybe a road.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Sorry, S.S.!
I misread your question!:( :eek:
I thought you were asking what FACTORY would look best!:rolleyes: :eek:
My apologies!

As far as the track, I think I would get rid of the middle one...this would give you room for another building, either a different industry, or another part of the same factory complex.

GNRail

Jun 18, 2003
Sudbury,ON
Visit site
If you want only one spur I would go for the straight one.

It will allow you to bring the factory away from the cliff behind it. This will give you an area to do some small scene behind the factory.
In our modular group we have one of the guys who is truly amazing with scenery and one of his pieces of advice is to make the viewer have to work a little bit. As well it will highlight the factory a little more by bringing it more into the fore ground.

The other thing my wife keeps telling me (Artist and Interior Decorator) is to try to avoid right angles. I think if you used either of the curved spurs your factory would line up with either the front or the side.

TTFN

Garry

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
This is in N scale - correct? The reason I ask is that it looks like HO in which case I am not sure you would have enough room for two turnouts to make two spurs as a couple of members suggested.

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
Originally posted by babydot94513
This is in N scale - correct? The reason I ask is that it looks like HO in which case I am not sure you would have enough room for two turnouts to make two spurs as a couple of members suggested.

this is N scale. however, I'm only going to keep *one* spur

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
Thanks

Well, after much advice here and in chat, I set it up

Here is the spur I decided on, with all the spurs and the runaround loaded with cars. this should be a fun little layout to switch while another train runs around the main line

Attachments

• img1001.jpg
    img1001.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 143