A river is about to appear

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Chris:
You can make some economical drain pipes from the "flexible" straws. Just cut it at the flexible part and it looks like corrugated pipe. You get about 3/8". I think it looks best if you don't pull on it. I make a hole in the scenery and push the bit of straw in -- use the plain straw to make the hole and for an anchor. I then paint mine grimy black inside and out.
They're very handy to explain bits of scenery where I gouged out too much with the hot wire.

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Hi Val, no I havent, as this is my first attempt anything can :( and will:D happen.
I bought the late`st Wood land water rippel/ water fall effect stuff for the rambling stream/river effect, thought I might try that but it will proberly end up being Niagra falls:D :D :D :D
But Trickle effect is what I want.
Thanks Val.:thumb:

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Chris, you're probably already planning to do this, but if not, you should probably do a small test to get the hang of it first.

Gary did a really nice river and explained his technique here

I'm pretty sure there are some other threads right here at The Gauge about water modelling.

Good luck! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Val

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Chris,
I've seen people use clear calk for "trickles" down rocks. For water coming out of pipes some folks cut a piece of clear scotch tape leading from the pipe to the ground or pool below and then dribble acrylic gloss medium down it. I've never used the Woodland Scenes product but maybe when its melted you could eye dropper it down (?) Water effects are always cool! Best wishes!

David, the straw idea is BRILLIANT! :thumb:
Ralph

Climax1880

Feb 13, 2004
At the edge of the woods
Visit site
Chris:
It's been a few years for me too, working with Envirotex but (and I may be mistaken) I think I read somewhere that for ripples, you could use a heat gun or hair dryer and this will cause the Envirotex to ripple. You might try a small experimental area first, as Val said and see what happens. (As usual, if you use your wife's hair dryer and it breaks, this author will disavow any knowledge of this advice or thread content.):rolleyes: :D

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for the info guys,, I to was weary about this venture.
But here is the new water product.
No heating just pour, will set up to 1/8th deep and self level.
The smaller bottle is used for water falls and such,
check out woodlands web sit.
Cheers:thumb:

Attachments

• water.jpg
    water.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 341

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
It'll be great!

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out! :thumb:

I've heard of strips of acetate covered with clear caulking being used to simulate everything from waterfalls to trickles down rocks, but have never had the guts to try.

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
looking like a fine start Chris never used the new water stuff but have used spar varnish thined down with auto thinner for trickel's of water.:thumb:
as for a name looks like the little snake to me:D

F

Fred_M

Originally posted by spitfire
Chris, I really like the idea of the trickles of water feeding in. I've heard of people making them from coating clear fishing line with "Realistic Water". Have you ever tried this?

Val
Or them strings from your hot melt glue gun. FRED

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Hi Chris, I like your rock face and the stone wall looks great! A river along them will look super. I've tried the fishing line approach and wasn't too happy with it, tho that could just be me and givng up on it too soon. Doesn't mean others couldn't get better results! Also, I was trying for a short falls, not runoff from say storm drains. The WS water effects is what I wound up using, approach is detailed in the link Val provided. Thanks Val! Climax1880 wrote about using heat to ripple Envirotex, I think he is thinking of resin. I've never used resin but I think I remeber reading or being told that heat will cause it to ripple during setting. At the time I was told resins appearance was superior to that of Envirotex, but that it stinks up the house. So I went with Envirotex. Ripples are easy with Envirotex, but time consuming, read that link. One thing I hadn't mentioned in the previous thread is that tiny air bubbles get in the Envirotex from stirring. Careful stirring will minimize this, and using the flame from a lighter will cause them to disappear after pouring in the river bed. If you have a hobby torch that would be better than the lighter. Just hold the flame an inch or so over the bubbles and they go away. Be careful of course, but I had no problem with the foam or styrene bridges I was under!

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
Hi Gary,, I printed out your step by step and I have it downstairs for when I am ready to test a few things,, Thanks.
Got to get the painting done first!!
The new stuff has to be max 1/8 in depth for it to set,, That`s the instructions,,,,,:D :D :D :D gonna bend that a bit:D :D :D :D
I hope to start the painting this week end.

I need a willow tree,,,, OOOOOO how I need a willow tree!!!!!
That would realy set that scene alive
:D

Anybody??????anybody?????:p :p :p :p

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Chris, here's a tree-making technique I read about that would be ideal for willows. Basically, you take a bundle of thin gauge wire, twist the bundle together at the bottom, then from there you twist in gradually diminishing numbers of strands to form branches. If you did this, then curved all the branches down in that characteristic willow droop, it shoud work well. You paint the wire brown, then spray the branches with hairspray or glue, and dip into ground foam.

Here's a link

:D Val