A new factory

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
I seem to have several projects at various stages these days, but now that I have to start getting geared up for the school year, I'm concentrating on finishing this one.

Here's a shot of the front, showing the entrance that I sacrificed an entire DPM kit to make. The kit is Carr Parts, and you probably recognize the arch from the top of the facade.

2 bakery working guys are standing by the loading door. They're the reason I'm pretty much decided on having this be a bakery - Dempster's Bread most likely, although I'm still not totally decided.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 198

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Round the back, I added some Walthers vents, and to break up the flat surface I scratchbuilt a small shed. If the backside of the red brick building looks a little wonky, it's because it's just taped together right now!

Attachments

• ducts.jpg
    ducts.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 199

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Originally posted by spitfire
"wonky"

wonky???:) :D I don't see this in my new "Merriman's" is this a new "above the border" term?

Kidding aside, I like the buildings. The bakery is going to be an impressive structure. Looking forward to the completion, Val.:) :)

K.V.Div

May 10, 2001
Shawnigan Lake, B.C. Canada
Visit site
Originally posted by spitfire

showing the entrance that I sacrificed an entire DPM kit to make. The kit is Carr Parts, and you probably recognize the arch from the top of the facade.

Sacrificed???????:eek: :confused: :eek: :confused:
I would hardly say that you sacrficed anything (unless you threw half of it in the gargage).
Made better? Yes, Elevated it to a higher level? most definatly.;)
Kitbashing is nothing less than a fine art in this hobby, and your work shows that you are very much a master of fine art Val:cool:
Cheers!

Terry

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
That's GREAT!

Under construction and impressive. Methinks that once it's done, it'll be incredible. But hey...that's just the usual Spitfire fare, now, innit? :)

Keep it up, Val! I just can't wait to see your progress.:)

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Ol' Canada Packer's Building...

Hi Val,

The Red Brick Building looks a lot like one of the Old Canada Packers Buildings down here at Keele Street and St. Clair Avenue West...

Canada Packers got bought out by Maple Leaf and now operates under the name Canamara Foods.

Operations have been scaled back a lot since the Stock Yards closed, but there are still a few meat packers in the area.

Canada Bread/Weston Bakeries is just a block away, on Cawthra Avenue too.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Very impressive structure you have Val, like the two buildings together, they look right at home.
Shamus

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi Val,

Looks great! That ground level shot really reminds me of coming into Union Station on the GO or VIA trains... Now if you can just knock together a model of the old "Distillery District" (Gooderham & Worts???), I would be much obliged... ;)

Nice work!!

Andrew

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Hi Val:
Looks like a great model. Thought i'd throw a couple ideas your way in case they were useful. I've worked on a couple bakerys and they've both had a place to offload a tanker car, sugar, oil and fructose syrup, and boxcars for packaging, spices, etc. Might aid you in adding the scenery.

They are big power and gas users also, Gotta heat the ovens. Both had silos for flour, but these could be inside in your structure. Might add that both of my buildings were originally built in the 50's and i worked on them in the 90's. So much of how they operate has changed over the years.

Great modeling!
Ted

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Val,
those industrial canyons are shaping really well! I can already visualize the dirt, the scattered weeds and garbage behind the buildings, etc while your locos push cars toward the loading docks. Lookin' good! By the way, those vents REALLY add to the bakery! Cool!
Ralph

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks all!

And thanks for the info on Canada Packers Ron. I know that area of town and at one point used to work not far from there on McCormack Ave. Man - the smell!!!! Anyway, there's no meat packing on my layout - I like the smell of baking bread a lot better, even if it's only imaginary!

Also thanks to Ted for the suggestions and info on bakeries. A silo at the back of the building might be a very nice addition. I hadn't planned for a loading dock, but now I think I should add one, perhaps instead of the shed. What do you folks think of that idea?

cheers
Val