A little beyond the planning stage

Discussion in 'Track Planning' started by Racharg, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Racharg

Racharg Member

Hi all, was talking to some folks on the chat about being new to the hobby. Here's my first kick at the can for disection (I learn best by diving right in). Beyond the quasi yard to the right and Glacier Gravel surounded by a grade down beside that, i have to figure out another industry or 2. WHile I'm at it, best figure out an era too, none of my engines overlap time-wise, a gp35, an f7 and a 2-8-0 :) Any comments/recomendations are welcome!!!

Attached Files:

2. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

The f unit and steam both live in harmony, more or less, in the ever popular "transition era".

How about loggin'?
  3. Racharg

Racharg Member

Read somewhere that the MDC 2-8-0 that I have is from the late 1800's, when did f7's come around? I might do logging fo rthe second layout...right now it's easier to make rocks than trees :)
  4. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Hi!
    That F unit was seen in the 1940s-1970s and beyond in some cases, I believe. The Geep will work with it as newer equipment on your line. How about running the steamer as a fan trip loco?
    Doesn't really matter. Just have fun! Welcome! Your layout looks like its coming along just fine. I like the idea of cassette staging too. Your post is prompting me to think of a way of adding some to my layout.
    Ralph
  5. csxengineer

csxengineer Member

Aerial shot

I'm more impressed with how you took a picture from above the layout! I didn't know that they made an N scale goodyear blimp. Layout looks good. Keep us posted.
  6. Racharg

Racharg Member

Cassette Staging

Thanks Ralph, was thinking about the fan trip idea as well. Got the staging idea from the April '03 MR. Got about 20' of aluminum angle for under ten bucks, enough to make 8 cassettes, 4 @ 2' and 4 @ 6". The 2 footers will hold about 6 cars and then you tack on the engine on the 6 incher. Conect it all together with some brass channel for power and your off!

Attached Files:

7. Racharg

Racharg Member

The short cassettes

Attached Files:

8. Racharg

Racharg Member

The stoppers...

Attached Files:

9. Racharg

Racharg Member

The layout cassette gap...

Attached Files:

10. Racharg

Racharg Member

And finally, what keeps it all level

Attached Files:

11. justind

justind Member

Looks nice.
    I too have a mixture of motive power (a 2-8-0 included) and while mine is a USRA model consolidated yours looks a little older. From my research I have found photos of the USRA 2-8-0 in service until about 1956. However, I am no expert on the prototypes, so I can't say with 100% certainty.
    If you are not too specific with your details (i.e. automobiles, etc.) you can span a pretty broad era.
    Where I live in Utah there is a Baldwin 2-8-0 passenger train in service today.
  12. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

One thing to consider is to use interchangeable buildings and details to shift the time frame of the layout. That way you could model a steam operation in the early 1900's or 1950's to 1960's diesel.