A couple simple questions

X-cal

Dec 1, 2004
Hi, I'm new and have a few questions I could use answered.

First, lets say you have a track layout where you have two trains on one track. If you only wanted to run one of the trains is it possible to run that train while keeping the other train parked? If this is possible can you please give me the name and maybe a picture of the controller I would need to execute this action?

Thanks

Alan B

Jul 13, 2004
DCC it's easy. Just select the address of the loco you want to run and then give it a command. On DC, it involves block wiring.

X-cal

Dec 1, 2004
Thank you very much, I appreciate the help.

I have some other questions also, I'm getting ready to buy my first N scale set and I was looking at the Amtrak Centennial Train Set by Bachmann. However, I am hearing good and bad things about Bachmann and I'm not sure if I should go with them. I heard someone say if you play around with them for a couple hours they work fine. So my questions are, what kind of tinkering would I have to do with these trains to get them to run right, and can Bachmann trains run with Kato's unitrack?

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Second question first: Any brand of N gauge trains should work with any brand of N gauge track.
However, not all brands of track will join with each other -- the ones like unitrack have all picked different methods of joining up.
And there are two incompatible couplings; think of it as "the big one" and "the little one".
Bachman used to have a bad rep. I'll let the N scale boys give you the latest version.

X-cal said:
First, lets say you have a track layout where you have two trains on one track. If you only wanted to run one of the trains is it possible to run that train while keeping the other train parked? I
Thanks

No 'controller' necessary, Just use a toggle switch to turn the siding on and off. You break the circuit to the siding with insulating rail joiners and run the power through the toggle switch.

In my case, I use a dpdt center off switch to permit me to reverse the siding in relation to the main line or turn it off. This is a DC operation and not DCC.

More info can be found at http://www.nmra.org/beginner/

kchronister

Nov 1, 2004
Boiling Springs, PA
Bachmann has three levels of product that I know of: Bachmann, Bachmann Silver and Bachmann Spectrum. I know the Spectrum level product is pretty well regarded, and has certaintly done well by me. I know the basic level used to be poorly regarded -- not well detailed, tended to be noisy, and plastic drive components (gears) would strip if you were careless... But I haven't bought a Bachmann basic or silver level product in years... Hopefully someone with more current experience of it can chime in.