A cheap ballast spreader

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
As you can see in this picture, I'm starting to ballast my tracks. I got this jar at the 99 cent store, for...yeah, 99 cents. :rolleyes: I don't exactly know what it's supposed to be used for, maybe a sugar dispenser, but it sure makes a neat ballast speader.:thumb:

Attachments

• Ballast tool.jpg
    Ballast tool.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 237

Thoroughbreed

Aug 4, 2006
South Eastern AL
I use thread dipped in super glue to simulate air hoses and mu hoses. Works real good and cheap too.
Maybe we can start a thread of cheap to use items for the hobby?
Still looking for the best way to make a Nathan 5 chime horn, any suggestions? I hate the Detail Associates kits made from Delrin, too hard to put together.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Thoroughbreed said:
Still looking for the best way to make a Nathan 5 chime horn, any suggestions? I hate the Detail Associates kits made from Delrin, too hard to put together.

I think someone makes a brass casting of the Nathan 5 chime horn set, maybe Precision Scale?

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I use a paper (Dixie) cup and a soft 3/4" brush for spreading ballast. The small paper cups are useful for applying ground foam, too, and they're also great for mixing up small amounts of different colours and sizes of ballast for making roadways, driveways and parking lots. I also use them for loading loose coal and gravel loads in hoppers and gondolas, and for filling the coal bunkers of steam locos: just give the rim of the cup a little squeeze and you've got a pouring spout.:thumb:

Wayne

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
re your air horn quest, being terminaly poor I make a lot of stuff other folks take for granted .I made some 3 chime horns with a file and bits of plastic tree {the things model parts come fastened to}

trainnut65

Feb 17, 2006
that looks like a great idea you have there Ezdays. If i see one in a store i am going to buy it just to try out. Thanks for the tip

josh0351

Oct 17, 2006
ezdays said:
As you can see in this picture, I'm starting to ballast my tracks. I got this jar at the 99 cent store, for...yeah, 99 cents. :rolleyes: I don't exactly know what it's supposed to be used for, maybe a sugar dispenser, but it sure makes a neat ballast speader.:thumb:

Good scoop, EZDAYS (no pun intended;) ). Will have to keep an eye out for that type of jar/dispenser. You should buy a lot of them and open up an ebay store selling them for $2.50 each! :D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
josh0351 said:
Good scoop, EZDAYS (no pun intended;) ). Will have to keep an eye out for that type of jar/dispenser. You should buy a lot of them and open up an ebay store selling them for $2.50 each! :D
We went to the 99 cent store again yesterday. I found one....just one left. I'll have to check out another store that's a way's away, but now I have two...:thumb: :thumb: