A Brit checks in

Epoch IV

Aug 8, 2008
Hi all,

I've been pointed in the way of this forum by existing member EsPeeMEC, so I thought I'd say hello. I model in H0 and 00 (though I have tried N and have a few bits kicking around), mainly German (1980s West, late 1990s East) and British (late 80s/early 90s south coast), with some Irish 1990s stuff which is little more than a collection at present.

I live in the North West of England at present, although in a month's time that will change to Wellington, New Zealand... as such, most of my model trains are in boxes at the moment ready for shipping out. I'm pretty conservative at the moment with my German modelling, having started on a DB 1980s branch line (but abandoned it with the upcoming move), and my next project will probably be based on either the Island of Rügen or Saxony, featuring electrified standard gauge and steam operated narrow gauge, and probably even a bit of dual gauge.

I've also got a cement works micro-layout, built around the Cornerstone "Valley Cement" kit- on moving, EsPeeMEC will take custody of it. It's designed so that stock of any country in H0 or 00 can run on it, and as such I've tried to avoid country specific details such as buffer stops or bumpers.

Anyway, cheers for now...

Rich

CSXect

Dec 31, 2007
:wave::wave::wave:

Welcome to the gauge

New Zealand has some narrow gauge action, also has a S scale narrow gauge manufacturer. At this time I only have one train car that is from outside the US it is a passenger car I did up for the Algoma central in Canada in HO. I like the German steamers as they have an industrail look to them also like some of the Brit/euro trains coming out from MTH.

I collect and operate in O, S, On30, G and N gauges I also have a few HO stuff left over from way back when i was a kid.sign1

Epoch IV

Aug 8, 2008
I do have one piece of US rolling stock... a G scale GP7 painted up as BAR 69 in the experimental scheme that was the precursor to "International" colours.

And I'm tempted by some Sn3.5 too!

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi Rich and welcome to The Gauge. Although I'm Canadian, I have a strong British connection. My mother was from Birmingham and my wife is from Winchester in Hampshire. We visit England about every 18 months which gives me a chance to ride the Watercress Line, East Lancs Railway, the Swanage Railway, etc.

I also mainly model in 00 (I'm trying to model the Somerset & Dorset Line in the 1950s/60s, etc.) but I also occasionally run trains from the British Midlands and North, and also a few North American ones as well.

Cheers, Rob

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Welcome aboard!

Interesting to see someone modelling German and especially British railways in post-steam days. Don't see so many of the latter. And I'll certainly be interested in seeing your East German dual-gauge layout - I've toyed with the ideas of doing just that myself.

Epoch IV

Aug 8, 2008
Here's a bit of my German stuff. Some of the stock for the dual gauge layout...

202kleinlokboe9.jpg