A B23-7

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Here is one of my N Scale play prettys..Its a Atlas B23-7..I was also toying around with my new camera.The engine is seting on the soon to be door layout..

Attachments

• NS-Units-009.jpg
    NS-Units-009.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 114

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Guys,Atlas also makes the GP38 in the hiigh hood verison as well as the SD35..Oddly Atlas never oftered the GP40 in a high hood..That is sad because NS has high hood GP40s.I could use several GP40s.So,I will be using the low hood GP40-2s instead..Of course these GP40-2s are ex-CR units.I will be posting pixs of my NS GP38S.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
brakie said:
Guys,Atlas also makes the GP38 in the hiigh hood verison as well as the SD35..Oddly Atlas never oftered the GP40 in a high hood..That is sad because NS has high hood GP40s.I could use several GP40s.So,I will be using the low hood GP40-2s instead..Of course these GP40-2s are ex-CR units.I will be posting pixs of my NS GP38S.

I model ho, so forgive my ignorance about n scale, but I wonder if Atlas bodies are available and how expensive they are. I know in ho the kato bodies are available and very reasonably priced. I think a gp 38 short hood and cab would be the same as a gp 40 short hood and cab.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Russ,Atlas does sell N Scale undec bodies for their locomotives starting at $2.00..

I haven't consider doing any shell bashing but,it sounds like it could work.The only concern I have is both hoods is one piece like the Atlas HO locomotives..

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
brakie said:
Russ,Atlas does sell N Scale undec bodies for their locomotives starting at $2.00..

I haven't consider doing any shell bashing but,it sounds like it could work.The only concern I have is both hoods is one piece like the Atlas HO locomotives..

Are the running boards part of the body or the chassis? If the running boards are part of the body, you could cut the long hood off a high hood gp38 body, then cut the gp40 body through the cab and running board so that you would have extra material on the long hood of the gp 40 to sand down to fit it to the gp38 cab and short hood. I think some out of sight joiner plates made from thin styrene strips and glued to the inside of the long hood and cab at the splice would strengthen it. If the 1/8 inch of the high hood from a gp38 and a gp 40 are close enough to work, then leaving 1/8 inch of the original high hood on the gp 38 right behind the cab would give you a place to glue in your joiner gusset out of sight. If the price of the shells is $2.00, you could buy $10.00 worth and have 5 of each type to practice on.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Russ,After checking more closely I see that the frame and body as two separate pieces.So,all I will need to d is cut the behind the cab of both units..It looks to be a straight forward switch.