2ND Gauge Layout party

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by N Gauger, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

So what have I been doing? I got that building done and have been over in scatch n sniff building a tin fence for the junkyard out of Campbell wavey beer can metal. So here's a picture of the two projects. FRED

Attached Files:

2. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Wow - that be one rusty fence -- great projects!!! They are nice!!! :D :D :D
  3. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Thanks, Ive been meaning to ask you, how to get gons to glow? Blacklight or glow in dark plastic? or? The other day on my layout I noticed a blue plastic truck was glowing under them white LEDs I'm using for street lamps. Weird effects. :)FRED
  4. N Gauger

it has Glow-in - the -dark, plastic tubing in it. all cut to 1/2 inch lengths - I got 20 of them ata yard sale - they are supposed to be driveway markers :) :)

Plus I used Glow-in-the-dark paint for everything else :)

Thanks!!!
  5. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

You ever see them UV Leds? They could give a cool effect for you too. FRED
  6. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Fred

Great job!

I finally did some work last night. I stained the rock wall and the abutment. I finished sealing it, hitting it with another black wash, and sealing it again tonight. I am hoping that I can do the mortar before I go to bed.
  7. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Much Thanks all, Great work Tom, NEED PICTURES SOON! :thumb: Next thing I'm going to do (after I finish the fence) is cast and carve a plaster pier to replace a plastic one. Maybe I'll get that done by the end of the month. I have so many little things that need done, like mounting switches. Speaking of glow in the dark Mikey, here's this keyboard I got to try out. It is backlit with blue LEDs and has an on off switch for them. Makes it much easier to type with the lights out at nite. Errol needs one of these! Some of you may not know it, but our friend Errol stay up till after 4am his time to chat with us in the evening. :eek: They are cheap too. Look for them coming to your local computer stores soon. FRED

Attached Files:

8. TomPM

Here finally are some progress photos. I have stained the rock wall and abutments. At this point I still need to seal them, then apply another black wash, and seal again. Of course I also need to add the mortar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. N Gauger

nice pics Tom :) :)

Dash -

I didn't think the UV leds glow that bright - that's why I didn't try to find them :(

yeah, I know about Errol :) That's a neat keyboard too :)
  10. TomPM

I did some more work on the diorama. I finished adding the mortar to the walls. It does not show up well in the pictures. I was somewhat disappointed in how it looked at first but after viewing some pictures of some old railroad bridge abutments and walls I realized that on many of them it is hard to see the mortar lines. I also painted the ground and I laid the mainline track.

I am deferring from working on the trolley line until I figure out how and what I am doing for the bridges and the roadway. Anyone have any suggestions on how to make a concrete road?

Here are some progress photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here a few photos with the station temporarily in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next on the agenda is to weather the track and ballast it. In the meantime I also have to make up list for a supply run to the LHS.
  11. TomPM

The track is weathered and I have begun the ballasting of the track. I may need to hit the ballast with another coat of glue. If all goes well tongiht I hope to get some photos.

So with less than a week to go how is everyone else making out? and more importantly when is the next one?
  12. TomPM

What am the last one left? Anyone else still at the party?

Here are my latest set of progress photos. I have laid the track. I have weathered the track and I have also placed the ballast. After I took these pictures I had to apply more glue to ballast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

PARTY, did I hear party? I forgot what I was doing. I built a tin fence over in scratch, and am building a signal bridge in the HO forum. I also did some landscaping in the HO forum. I guess I was bad and posted what I'm doing elsewhere. I'll snap a picture tommow and post here. FRED
  14. TomPM

Fred, glad to see you are still here. I was getting worried if I was the last one here that I'd get stuck with the check for the party. :D
  15. N Gauger

Hope to get more done - over the wekend "last minute" LOL
  16. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Here's a step back picture of the landscaping and junk yard. FRED [br] [​IMG]
  17. TomPM

Great job Fred! Looks terrific!
  18. N Gauger

One Day Left - It ends Monday Night :( :( Then we can start planning the nextone. :D :D :D
  19. Catt

Catt Guest

Hows about we run the next one from 6/01/04 till 7/15/04 ? :D :D :D :D :D :D
  20. N Gauger

:D Most of us have to clean up from this one :D

Maybe July - or August????