2006 Toronto Christmas Train Show -- thoughts?

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Just wondering how folks liked this year's Toronto Christmas Train Show.

Overall, I really enjoyed it, especially the large (garden scale, etc.) live steam British locos. For some reason, though, I think I liked last year's show a little more, but I'm not sure why ... were there more layouts?

Thanks, Rob

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Robert: as an exhibitor, I think there were smaller crowds than previously. The hall was more spacious; not sure why, may have been fewer exhibitors/vendors or maybe a bigger hall. We know that 2 large hobby shops weren't there as well as the formerly largest British dealer. For setup/teardown there was room for 2 lanes of cars between the layouts.
Sunday, we had competition from Toronto's Santa Claus parade. Saturday, the show opened 2 hours later than usual. And the adult price went to $12.
We're glad you enjoyed it. How about your entourage? Did they have to be dragged out screaming and kicking? Which one won the sword fight?

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks, David ... Yes, I think the hall was bigger than last year's, so that might have given the impression of much more space. And yes, the show was competing with the Santa Claus Parade as well.

My boys really enjoyed the show. In particular, they liked the Lionel trains and the large vintage trains from the 1930s and '40s. There was one Lionel layout where they could press buttons to control various figures as well as run a few trains. They really enjoyed that. But I was really EXHAUSTED at the end of it. It was fun but tiring -- taking in a show while chasing kids at the same time is hard work!

I'm hoping to go to the Whitby show next weekend. When I went there in 2004, I remember seeing a really nice British layout.

Thanks again for loaning the S&DJR stuff!

Rob

MadModeler

May 20, 2006
We went on Saturday. Had a great time checking out the various displays. Brought a couple of friends and they really enjoyed themselves.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I'll talk about one item that impressed me.
There was an O gauge streetcar layout featuring a Toronto CLRV. (contemporary street car). While I've seen it before, this year I noticed that the car was fitted with operating turn signals.
I don't know if you're aware, but streetcars never had turn signals; they (TTC engineers?) said that it wasn't possible to have automatic cancellation after the turn. Somehow, they found a way to put it in the newer (1978-1989) cars.

I'll note also that there was a traction corner at the show. Interurban's (Chris and Duckman and..) HO layout, an O gauge TTC biased set and the CLRV above.

galt904

Jan 17, 2005
Beachville ON
My daughters loved all the displays, especially the one in the trailer. I thought the vendors were a little thin, I was hoping to find some bargains and almost took all my $$ back home with me, until I found some auto racks on my second walk-thru. How come George's was absent?

David, did you notice the front & rear signals on the street car were opposite lh & rh? :) Pretty smart the way he set it up, with magnets embedded in the road and reed switches below the car-body.

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
galt904 said:
My daughters loved all the displays, especially the one in the trailer. I thought the vendors were a little thin, I was hoping to find some bargains and almost took all my $$ back home with me, until I found some auto racks on my second walk-thru. How come George's was absent?

David, did you notice the front & rear signals on the street car were opposite lh & rh? :) Pretty smart the way he set it up, with magnets embedded in the road and reed switches below the car-body.

Hi Chad:

Yes, my two sons really loved the Lionel trains in the trailer -- I had trouble getting them away from it ! And I also didn't find too many bargains or rare items and I too came back with most of my money.

FYI, I was at George's a week or so ago and they told me that they would not be at the Toronto show (didn't say why) but that they would be at the Whitby show next week.

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
We all enjoyed "doing" the show again this year, Brian commented on all the good advice he gleaned from the" how to booths" and Plate Layers.

One comment , on talking to venders that I know and have seen at other shows we attend , the price for a table , topped over $ 300.00 for a area, the bigger area cost this vender $520.00.

I do not know about you but that seems a hard task to recoup and still make a living.
Maybe that`s why the venders where a tad thin?:rolleyes:

MadModeler

May 20, 2006
There was one booth my wife and I are very impressed with. That is the one for the group who are restoring the Mimico station. My wife and I were out there in 1998 to take pictures and measurements. I hope to make an HO model of the place. The folks there are interested in the pics so we are going to make them available.

What a fun day that was. (Both the train show and the picture taking).

And interurban, sorry I missed you.:cry: We were delayed getting there and didn't arrive until 2:45.