2 Direction Reversing Loop

DOUBLEJK

Jan 25, 2006
Howdy all...:)
I have a question on reversing loops as shown below...
The two curves are what I think need gapped at the first track beyond the switch for a total of 4 gaps????

Reversingloops.jpg

I am using DCC in the form of a Lenz Set100.
How many reversing modules do I need?
Regard's
John

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
John: I don't see any reversing loops. There is no way for a train to use that track to turn itself around.
Unless you are using all-rail frogs (electrofrog) you don't even need any rail gaps.
Is this the whole layout?

DOUBLEJK

Jan 25, 2006
Yes...It's just a small section connecting on all 4 straights to other parts of the layout...
I was looking for the smallest reversing section to go both ways and I can enter this from any direction. I only have loco's powered no cars with power so thought a small one might work.sign1

EngineerKyle

Oct 3, 2005
Troy MI
No,

This is not a reversing loop. You might mean it can be used to take and isolate a train from one part of the layout to the other. However, a train running forward and clockwize cannot be made to forward and counterclockwise with this track.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Can you show us the rest of the layout? If 2 or more of the 4 legs that lead to other parts of the layout converge at some point, there may be a reversing loop present... ;) Take a look at the whole plan and see if there is any trackwork that forms a sort of teardrop shape.

The (rather crude) diagram shows one way that your trackwork might be part of a reversing loop.

Andrew

Attachments

• reverse loop.jpg
    reverse loop.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 90

EngineerKyle

Oct 3, 2005
Troy MI
Good job, Andrew,

I did not see it like that....

If that is how this guys layout looks, he should have shown that part in his diagram.

DOUBLEJK

Jan 25, 2006
I never asked if this was a reverse section I know it is.
This is just a small section of the overall layout that will have the 2 curves being reversing sections to turn trains around such that they re-enter the system going the oppisite way they were going....
My question is....
I believe that the curves will need gapped at both ends before the switch
Do I need 1 or 2 reversing modules. I believe they are KV100 in the Lenz offerings?
reverser.jpg

This isn't the layout but gives a better view for those needing to see more to believe trains will reverse in the small section shown.
Regard's
John

NYNH&H

Dec 11, 2006
It doesn't look like there could be a train in each at any one time, and if this is the case, then you only need one. If there is going to be a train in each, then there needs to be two. If you can, make the reversing section longer than the longest train, as this will help to make sure it works reliably. You could also make the whole inside part a giant reversing section, as long as two trains won't be passing over different gaps at the same time.

DOUBLEJK

Jan 25, 2006
Thank's NYNH&H
So if there is a potential to have a train in each reversing section then I need 2 KV100's and if I don't let more than 1 train in a reversing section I can wire both too 1 KV100.
Hmmmm' cheap....er safe....the way my stuff ussually goes I better spring fer 2 and cut Murphy off at the pass.:wave:
Regard's
John

NYNH&H

Dec 11, 2006
If you want to save money, you can use DPDT switches, although then you have to remeber to actually throw them. The Tony's reversers are the best, they are solid state.