2-8-0 Steamer

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Hi all,

For all those interested in Steam Engines I just bought a Kato 9600. Its a beautiful little steamer and runs like a top. Its very quiet and pulls very well. It has a working headlight and a light on the tender. I have four Kato mikes and it runs right with them with ease. It also pulls very well at low speeds also.

It would make a great switcher and needless to say there are few of those out there. If you go to the Kato website there is a great picture under the japanese section. I got mine from N-Scale Supply for seventy four dollars and plan to get another one. Check it out Ron :)

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Hi Rory,

Rory I do have grades on my layout but no more then two percent. Last night I added on five more cars so its now pulling fifteen and I know I can add more. I'm hauling Atlas 70 ton or cars and there nice heavy cars for there size. I don't know if you have a Kato Mike or not but this little guy will pull as much or maybe even more. I also did'nt mention I tested it on Atlas #6 and #4 switches on code 80 flextrack and it ran flawless. Its a keeper. On one of the other forums someone mentioned they did'nt like the six wheel tender. I'm no nut and bolt counter so it does'nt bother me a bit. I'm sure one could install a Mike tender to it as the hookup looks the very same. But after thinking about it the Mike tender may look a little big. Hope I have helped you out Rory. Ron ;)

Freddo

Jan 17, 2003
Visit site
I want to pick up a 2-8-0 as well. Is the kato as well respected as the Bachmann Spectrum? I've been just waiting to get my wiring completed before the purchase. What's Kato's web address please as I'd like to see the steamer you just bought.

Thanks and enjoy! - Fred

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
I'll support Wyomingite's testimonial on this loco 100%. I ran into it at a new hobby shop yesterday, saw it run, and for $65 I couldn't go home without it. It runs as well, if not better, than other Kato JNR locos I have. All can be "Americanized" somewhat to make them look more at home on a layout. The six wheel tender can be got used to easily enough. I'll install an MT 1015 on the tender today but I'm not sure what I'll do for the pilot. Kato includes a "rapido" coupler for the pilot but I will not install it because I have no rolling stock retaining rapidos. It's a great little loco and worth the money.

Dick

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Hi Dick,

I have read a lot on other forums about changing out the tender for a Kato Mike tender. To me it does look like the same hookup but in my opinion would look a little bit big. I have no problem myself with the six wheel tender so plan to leave it alone. Like I mentioned I'm going to order another one as it runs so well with my other steamers. Thanks for your opinion on supporting mine and your input on the coupler conversion as I need to do that also. Take care. Ron ;)

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
Ron,

I sat down to replace the coupler with the MT1015, but it looks like a little cutting is going to be involved and, typically me, I decied to "think it over" before I started cutting. I, therefore, decided to install a medium shanked "Unimate" for the time being. The short shank wouldn't fit the Kato pocket.

Dick