World's Longest Layout

Mountain Man

With eight miles of track, it's billed as the world's longest model railroad layout.

HAMBURG - It's billed as the world's largest model train set — a miniature world that snakes along eight miles (12 kilometers) of track, amid fields, cities, even the snowcapped Swiss Alps.

And it's quickly becoming one of Germany's biggest tourist attractions.
Twin brothers Frederick and Gerrit Braun, 41, have turned their boyhood passion for model railroads into a lucrative private museum called Miniatur Wunderland that has kept adding track since its 2001 opening and drew 1 million visitors last year.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29897277/

The reporter said they have spent $12,000 building the layout. If someone can confirm that wasn't an error, I may have to start ordering all my model rr supplies from Germanysign1

If I remember correctly from reading about this layout in Model Railroader a few years ago, the price tag is more like $1.2 million.

cost

Seems to me that the article said they ordered another $200,000 worth of parts. Appears to me that the 1.2 million is more accurate.

Lynn

Ronson2k3

Sticker shock for those not in the hobby.. you paid what??? for this. I couldn't buy enough furniture to fill one floor of a warehouse for 12,000 4k would get me maybe 4 rooms.

Stunning work though. Could take a bit to clean the track though hehe.