Winter attempt

jflessne

I hope my attempt this weekand looks half as good as yours does. Hope you don't mind if I reference the pictures. :)

I'm using woodland scenics snow. I hope to replicate a post blizzard condition. Deep snow!

Peter Sardagna

Jflessne, I have never used Woodland Scenics' "snow". Be sure to let us know how it works out for you. Please take some "before" and "after" photos, if at all possible!
That stuff is very expensive compared to plaster...
Peter

Peter Sardagna

Inspiration

I added two photos of my inspiration -- John Allen's work -- to the Gallery at Pond Junction & Rocky Creek RR. Now, that is some serious modeling!

Biased turkey

Excellent work Peter Sardagna, congratulations.
The pics that impressed me the most is the one that has nothing to do with the railrood: the trees, waterfall and the pond. It really looks like what I sees when I go snowshoeing here in the Laurentian mountains .

interurban

That is one nice scene, I did a corner of my traction Layout Polly filler goes a long way cheap and cheerful.

A very nice snow scene Peter Sardagna:thumb:

Biased turkey

Peter Sardagna said:
I used plaster of Paris in a small sieve from the kitchen. By tapping the rim with a heavy screwdriver, the plaster dust falls, lands and accumulates just like real snow. I seal it with a mist of water from the airgun in those areas where the dust might interfere with operations. Before I start, I lightly mist everything from above to give it a good base.

Fun!

Do you mean that you seal it with a mist of water from a spray bottle ?
I don't get it how an airgun can create a mist .

Peter Sardagna

Biased turkey said:
Do you mean that you seal it with a mist of water from a spray bottle ?
I don't get it how an airgun can create a mist .

Sorry -- bad choice of words (my Hungarian is showing). I use an airBRUSH because its spray is very fine and controllable.

The droplets from spray bottles leave the surface pitted with little craters that look huge in N scale -- especially in close-up photography. Spray from the airBRUSH does not ruin the effect of a smooth snow blanket.

Thanks for asking!

Peter