Weeds/Field Grass (Cheap!)

Drew1125

I found this big pile of twine out in my garage...it's what's commonly known as jute, or 'baling twine'...this stuff is great for making tall grass...

Attachments

• mvc-020f.jpg
    mvc-020f.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 242

Drew1125

Now put a drop of white glue where you want the clump of grass to be...

Attachments

• mvc-023f.jpg
    mvc-023f.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 224

Drew1125

You can kind of poke the fibers, spreading them apart, & you'll get something like this...

Attachments

• mvc-025f.jpg
    mvc-025f.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 224

ezdays

Out AZ way
Hey that's cool Charlie.:thumb: :thumb: I would think that the jute would soak up dye fairly well in case one wanted green or other color. I'm gunna give this a shot when I get back to my layout.

Don

C

Catt

Kewl stuff Charlie.Looks like a quick how to for the NARA site too.With your permission of course.:)

csxnscale

Great tip Charlie,
Don I think you can paint it once planted with a dry brush.
Dark green to the bottom, light green on top.
Paul

Drew1125

Hmmm...interesting idea, Don...you might not even have to fool with the dye...dipping the twine into some thinned acrylics might work as well.

Catt,
I would consider it an honor! :)

Vic

Neato Charlie!!!:) I've been using strands from 1/4" jute rope for years to make the limbs for Aspen trees which have very "twiggy" type limbs.

Arlaghan

Very cool indeed! Is this the same string used to make pine trees by twisting it in wire? You could probably paint the stuff and make a variety of tall grasses with it...

GNRail

I was just going to mention that at Home Depot we can get green jute and I used it to make pine trees.

Garry

CN1

Great tip Charlie:thumb: :thumb:

Great tip Garry:thumb: :thumb:

Thanks guys for sharing your discovery:thumb: :thumb: