warhammer Leman Russ

wlock

Started working on this when i first did the Land Raider, but had to pick one to do first.
The land raider is pretty much finished( except for weapons) so i'm finishing the part on the Leman Russ that needed proper mapping and size adjustment.

Most of it is done to an acceptable level and editing the textures is as easy as with the Land raider.
turrets will be seperate so when building a model, it's possible to choose what type.
I'm also changing the main hull to do the destroyer variant.

work in progress and texture variants are below

Attachments

• lemanruss.jpg
    lemanruss.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 78
  • lemanruss1.jpg
    lemanruss1.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 72
  • lemanruss2.jpg
    lemanruss2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 74
  • leman-russ-central-module.jpg
    leman-russ-central-module.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 126
  • russ_chaos.jpg
    russ_chaos.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 80

wlock

A few test builds of the central module and the tracks.
the green and white versions of the track module are no longer up to date.

the track module with the red stripes is the latest one as well as the central module assembled to it.

working now on the textures of the central module and it should be finished.

I'm also gathering the reference pictures for the first turret variant

Attachments

• DSC02851.jpg
    DSC02851.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC02852.jpg
    DSC02852.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC02853.jpg
    DSC02853.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC02854.jpg
    DSC02854.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC02855.jpg
    DSC02855.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 69

the_spartan_fury

Shadow Striker
Now that I'm back into the Zealot loop, I have to say these look good. With the layering, what material and thickness do you use? Would the same count for the Land Raider?

As I said in your Land Raider thread, I'll be starting that white model soon. I can't remember if you gave a link to the Russ, if not how soon would we see a link? I'll definitely be on board for building this.

wlock

this model is not finished yet, the texture for the central module is nearly done and i can release it then. textures are pretty easy to do, i have a few ready in several base colors for jungle, desert, city and chaos.

layering is just like for the land raider, 1 mm tickness for most elements.

I have to at least do one turret to release it but that should not be too difficult.
Like the land raider i have the real model and i measure it against the paper model to make sure it's as close as possible

wlock

finally finished mapping the central module for the leman russ, already assembled it and looks good, now just adding a few minor details and it's good to be released.

The texture here is gray but like for the land raider there is a white version and it looks easy to edit

i'll add a few pictures of the assembled russ as soon as i'm done

Attachments

• centraltexturesmall.jpg
    centraltexturesmall.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 45
  • c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 43
  • c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 101
  • c3.jpg
    c3.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 81

Tirick

With how well your Landraider went together wlock, I look forward to this beaut with eager anticipation.

Looks great so far!
Tirick

blueyeppoon

I was amazed with the last model (when I discovered how to change skins I played for hours with them) don't know a great deal about the programs used so I'm looking forward to this!
Wow! Keep em coming

wlock

OK, not perfect but close to what it should be, i'm changing a few details like the size of the box at the rear that are not the correct shape, but overall it's close to the real thing

the texture fadded out a bit when i printed it but that can be fix by adding some contrast

pics below with a real leman russ to compare

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 367
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 369
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 377
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 368
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 372
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 365

Tirick

Awesome, simply awesome. If I might say, even better than your 'raider. I especially like how you've designed the textures as a detailing layer, making 'painting' much simpler, while yet giving visual appeal to the panels. Are you planning to include sponsons, or leaving that for the future?

wlock

I need to do the turrets first, and the front gun to finish the standard russ.
eventually the sponsors will come along with more accessories.
I have enough reference images on the russ to get it all done.

just wondering, I think I asked this before but never manage to get a clear answer, even from people that play the game, can these models be used to play?

I heard a rule about a % of parts that have to be from the plastic models but it is not clear how much of it has to be

iBib

Neophyte
just wondering, I think I asked this before but never manage to get a clear answer, even from people that play the game, can these models be used to play?

I heard a rule about a % of parts that have to be from the plastic models but it is not clear how much of it has to be

Short answer: depends on WHERE you are playing.

Slightly longer answer: If you are playing at a GW sanctioned event or store, you are not allowed to field them. Otherwise it is usually fine, but you should check with the organiser/store owner first.

I am currently building a Land Raider Mk I which I am going to attach GW bitz to (weapons, etc) and will start with your excellent Land Raider Mk II soon which I will use the Crusader upgrade sprue kit with. I have checked with our local store and they are totally fine with it.

It is not really that different than people scratch building vehicles (mostly Ork vehicles) or using models from other game systems.

And the biggest argument for why we should be able to field them is that a heck of a lot more love and work has gone in to assembling and converting these wonderful paper models than just assembling a finished plastic kit. More love to the eternal war!

Tirick

Really, if GW was 'good', they'd release patterns as they used to do for their vehicles, and encourage scratch building. All they are really doing us pushing out those who cannot afford their hobby in favor of a bottom line. 'Real' company behavior of course, but galling all the same. When I played (kids/wife/career got in the way) I only played with friends, who didn't care if you played proxies. Now that my kids get older I'll buy the rules, and figures, but I'll teach them to play using paper proxies for the vehicles.

I really appreciate the time and effort you are putting into these wlock, I much prefer painting large vehicles on the PC than on the model. A lot nicer result too (my hand is steady enough for pupils, but awful at large flat surfaces).

Tirick

Z

Zathros

They are shooting themselves in the foot because shameful to say, I was completely unaware of the game and when I first hear about it, it was negative publicity how "proxy" or homemade vehicles, or figures,could not be used, that just seemed ridiculous. I guess people could just set up they own games but there must be some sanctioning body that officiates it, does it get that intense where people play off at national levels?

wlock

I actually have many models, including a warhound titan and several baneblades. pretty much every model I found cool.
I think i'll be buying more but the prices are out of scale with the overall quality.

I was wondering about this question also because I saw a thread on another forum where there was a lot of hostility regarding paper models. It gave me a bad impression of the players. I have two friends that play and they are not like that at all and say nor are those they play with so I guess it's a minority.

I hope these will be usefull if someone wants to play apocalypse where you have many models.

below the standard turret, almost done. doesen't look like much yet but soon will have textures :).

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 225
  • Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_1194.JPG
    IMG_1194.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_1195.JPG
    IMG_1195.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 271

iBib

Neophyte
I was wondering about this question also because I saw a thread on another forum where there was a lot of hostility regarding paper models. It gave me a bad impression of the players. I have two friends that play and they are not like that at all and say nor are those they play with so I guess it's a minority.

I guess those people feel that people who scratch build models are "cheating". Cheating in the sense that they can field much more interesting armies than the people who only can afford to purchase some vehicles. Something like: "Why should you be able to have a 2000p army for only €50 while I have to spend €250!"

But normally, if you mostly play with your friends or at in a gaming group, I can't see that it would be a problem.

I hope these will be usefull if someone wants to play apocalypse where you have many models.

Yes, that's a great motivation. Not all people can purchase 20 tanks!

Z

Zathros

It's seems like an opportunity to turn people on to a new hobby. If I did these things I'd print out some tanks just to give them away and have a sheet with a few websites addresses were they could get their own,...................go tell them to piss of! :)