Want a Cessna 172

Millenniumfalsehood

Hey guys, you want to help me out?

I've been looking over the net for a good model of a Skyhawk, but the ones I've found so far were either on Geocities, or IE and FF refuse to load the page.

I'd like to build this plane, because I just experienced my first flight in one (yay!) and want to commemorate it. Preferably, it would be a blank model so I could add the striping and tail number in Paint.NET.

sjsquirrel

Paper-Replika?

Paper-Replika released a floatplane version of the Skyhawk just recently. It looks great.

If you can name some of the sites you were having troubles with we might be able to help there as well.

Steve

Millenniumfalsehood

Tell you the truth, I don't remember where I found the sites. It was on a big list of paper modeling sites I found using Google.

Thanks for the Paper Replika link! :thumb:

Z

Zathros

If you are going to start taking flying lessons, may I offer a suggestion? (Words, I'm going to offer one anyways!). Give a Piper Warrior a try. I flew up NewYork state via the Hudson, crossed over to and over Lake ontario, then off to Montreal, to the St. Lawrence seaway back down the coast to over through Massachusetts to Connecticut. All in a Cessna 172. Nice. When I started to fly on my own, I started flying Warriors. The Piper Warrior was more stable, forgiving, felt more like a real airplane, and, since I did the maintenance, and annuals (long story), I found it to be better made.

Give one a try for yourself, if you can find one. You will love it! I wish I had made that trip in a Warrior. I have way too many tales to tell about flying, but it is something that if you can do,you should.

Millenniumfalsehood

A Piper Warrior, huh? I'll have to see what planes are available at the flight school around here, though I suspect it's just the 172.

I've got a job that pays enough for one lesson a month, maybe two if I go hungry for a while. sign1 I'm going to start getting monthly lessons next month (my paychecks come on a monthly basis, so I have to plan accordingly).

I'd love to hear any interesting stories about flying. It's in my blood, and reading stories about flight really gets me going. :cool:

Z

Zathros

In all honest, if you were serious about doing this. Take out a loan, and pay it of monthly and you should be able to bang out a license in 3 months. You should never go more than a week without a lesson when learning to fly. The first few times will exhaust you. After about 5 lessons, you should be doing 2 a week. If you go every 2 weeks, you will take years to get your license and it cost you far more. The record in our school was the captain of an Oil tanker. He did it in 2 weeks.

That was extreme. We did have many that did it in 2 months. I only tell you this because I managed a F.B.O. for 2 years and I saw what happened. One lesson a months is not enough. You will be throwing your money away.

Also, I learned how to Navigate using Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004. I used Terrain maps to simulate the area I lived. I learned how to work the Variable Omnibus Radio (VOR) on the Simulator, and bye familiarity with the radio and controls knocked 10 hours off of my lessons. I soloed in 12 hours. That's considered pretty good.

Millenniumfalsehood

I never thought about it that way.

Yeah, I am serious about learning to fly. It really never occurred to me to take out a loan to pay it off; I've developed a fear of debt over the years, so it's not the first thing to come to mind (I suppose that comes from my parents making sure I never forgot to pay my debts when I was a kid, heh).

MS Flight Simulator is also a good tip. Navigation scares me a bit, especially when you factor in wind blowing you off course.

I'll have a talk with the bank when I get my next paycheck (though that'll be a while; plenty of time to plan ahead, and maybe pick up some reading material at the flight school so I can be ready for the written stuff).

Y'know, I have flown in the game WarBirds for a long time. It didn't occur to me that it was a flight simulator until I read the PDF manual a couple months back. Even though the planes simulated are old WW2 era crates, they did give me a feel for flying the real thing. When I took that Skyhawk up, it felt just like I was playing the game(other than having to compensate for a lack of practice with rudder pedals :roll: ). I have no doubt I could have landed that thing if the guy had let me.

Z

Zathros

Once you learn the "Flare" when landing, a little easier in a Cessna as it has high wing, then landing is a cinch. There is a little involved in it, especially on a short field where there is not much room to roll.

coachsig01

Are you still looking for the model? I have a few plastic ones. Most are HO scale (1/87) or a little larger. I was planning an airport diaroma for my model railroad layout but I had to switch to N scale due to space.
I also took flight lessons in a 150 and then switched to a 172.
Let me know if you are interested in the models.