Walk Thu Module

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Here are some pictures of the walk-thru-module I constructed and posted some time back. My club, the Valley NTrak of CT, has now used it sucessfully for our last four shows.

Attachments

• MVC-012S.JPG
    MVC-012S.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 545
  • MVC-014S.JPG
    MVC-014S.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 593
  • MVC-015S.JPG
    MVC-015S.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 536

2slim

Jan 16, 2004
Murray, UT
Visit site
Great Module Bill

I've had a concept for a swing bridge designed for a couple of years. I originally designed this for a friend's layout but he has since changed direction.

aap.sized.jpg

aaq.sized.jpg

Nice to see something similar 'in the flesh' as it were! :thumb: :thumb:

2slim

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Belg, I did wire in a magnet/reed switch to a relay that opens the outside rails on all the three lines. (red/Yel/blu) Continuity on the modules either side of the bridge will be broken when the gate is open. Depending on the length of the module, normally four foot, this gives the train plenty of stopping room, even for several slot car racers in our club. However, I have to rework it, the proximity contact switch will close even if the gate is not closed completely. Was thinking on the lines of a mechanical button switch that will only close if the latch is securely in place. After every show my knees thank me, should have made it sooner.:D

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Bill, why so official (Belg aka Pat) did you forget me already? We met at last years show where you won the award for your module with the canyon theme. I would love to see a closeup picture of the current safety interlock and your new solution if possible, Thanks Pat

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Hi Pat, Yes I remember meeting you but could not tie the screen name to a face and I have lost my little index card with screen names from the old gauge chat room.

The modules are in storage and I cannot readily get a picture of the mechanism. Basically a "NC" reed switch is mounted on the latch tower of the gate - it will stay open as long as the magnet on the gate is in proximity to it. When the magnet moves away, the switch closes, engergizing the relay. The relay has four poles, three are wired NC and one is wired NO. I had a loud annoying buzzer hooked to that contact, everyone hated it so I've unhooked the buzzer. I am thinking of changing to a mechanical button type switch. A barrel bolt on the gate is used to lock it into position, it would be an easy fix to mount a switch that is actuated when the end of the bolt contacts it. We had a simple derailment because a member did not close the gate completely and since the magnet was in the vicinity of the switch everything was powered.

CarlFidy

Jun 17, 2002
Owasso, OK
Visit site
NEONS gateway module

The "gateway" we have in the Tulsa club uses 3 (one for each line) normally open push buttons for our interlock system. Our gate swings up, so gravity does a good job of closing our gate completely. N Scale Railroading had an article on our gateway, and I think the photos included the interlock switches and alignment groove.

inkaneer

Jul 7, 2001
Visit site
Another option is to eliminate the need from a walk thru module in the first place. If the layout is constructed so that two corners modules are joined to form a 180 degree "U" curve then the layout is only 6 or 8 feet wide [depending on what size corners were used]. With a narrow layout there is no wasted space in the middle because there is no space in the middle. The layout can now beformed into a "L" shape or even a "U" shape and no need for a walkthrough.

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Hi inkanner, I agree, it sure would make things easier with the type layouts you described. There are however advantages in having a square or rectangular layout for modular shows. In most cases, these layouts fully utilize the floor space allocated the club for the show. They also seperate the viewing public from the operators or module owners. I would rather face the viewer, over a module, as I answer questions or point out details. Last and most important, the open space provides a safehaven for the clubs equipment and your own trains when not in use. Most of the viewing public are fantastic and respectfull, unfortunately there are some that would think nothing of rummaging through your boxes of trains if left out.

inkaneer

Jul 7, 2001
Visit site
Bill Pontin said:
Hi inkanner, I agree, it sure would make things easier with the type layouts you described. There are however advantages in having a square or rectangular layout for modular shows. In most cases, these layouts fully utilize the floor space allocated the club for the show. They also seperate the viewing public from the operators or module owners. I would rather face the viewer, over a module, as I answer questions or point out details. Last and most important, the open space provides a safehaven for the clubs equipment and your own trains when not in use. Most of the viewing public are fantastic and respectfull, unfortunately there are some that would think nothing of rummaging through your boxes of trains if left out.

What you say is true to a point. Where we set up for Train Expo shows space is always at a premium. So all that space inside Fort Ntrak is wasted. An "L" shaped layout 20' on each leg and each leg 6 ' wide has the same track footage that a square layout 20' on a side has but occupies about 1/2 of the space. Second we do a lot of small one day shows for fire depts., churches, etc. Space is always at a premium and the most asked question always is how small of a space do we need rather than how big of a space do we want. With the radio throttles available in both DC as well as DCC there is no need to man the throttles. We walk with the trains and can converse with the public without having any barriers between us [Hey, exercise is a good thing]. We are also more approachable. As far as protecting equipment we place it under the modules behind the front drape just as we did when we had Fort Ntrak. Never had a problem. But the biggest advantage is that we no longer have to get down and crawl under the layout. That is huge when you get older as we all do. Also those walk thru modules are a bear to haul around not to mention set up and maintain alignment. So to those who want them fine but there is an alternative that is easy and works.

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Hi again inkaneer, really like your term "FortNtrak." Your Club is fortunate that you can make the layouts you describe but our Club is locked into the box shape. Many members of our Club have extra wide modules with seperate loops of operating track and setup yards behind their skyboards. It was for this reason, myself and another member, designed the walk through module. My knees bothered me for days after a show from crawling in and out. The module breaks down into four pieces for transportation; 2 towers, the bridge itself and the base. Very compact to fit into my small van around my three modules, roll around tool box and hand truck. You can see the construction of it under another thread " walk thru duck under" - sorry I do not know how to hyperlink the thread. Wood and metal I can work with, but computers - that's another story. Many of the club members do walk around on the outside of the layout running their trains. On many occasions we will hand our throttle to some interested young engineer. For their effort we present them with an "Honorary Train Engineer" card. These are magnetic calling cards with the Club's logo and a statement thanking them for their participation and attesting that they have successfully operated a train for the Club. We fill in their name and have the Show Coordinator sign it for the Operations Manager.

inkaneer

Jul 7, 2001
Visit site
Bill Pontin said:
Hi again inkaneer, really like your term "FortNtrak." Your Club is fortunate that you can make the layouts you describe but our Club is locked into the box shape. Many members of our Club have extra wide modules with seperate loops of operating track and setup yards behind their skyboards. It was for this reason, myself and another member, designed the walk through module. My knees bothered me for days after a show from crawling in and out. QUOTE]

Extra wide modules should not be a problem. Consider that the minimum corner is three feet. Two of these joined together results in a layout width of 6 feet. Since the typical mosdule is two feet wide that means that of the 6 foot with of the layout the standard module only takes up 2 feet or 4 feet for two of them. That leaves two feet from the back of one module to the back of another on the opposite side. Extra wide modules can be accomodated easily. The setup tracks are another problem. Are they necessary? But one thing is important here. Our situation may differ from yours. Our club sets up in one of the larger Great Train Expo shows [advertized at 500 tables] where space is at a premium. Along with all the vendors we compete with another Nscale club, two HO clubs an S scale club as well as an O scale hi rail and a G scale Garden layout. Getting the most layout in the smallest space is beneficial to us and the show.