Union Pacific BIG BOY 4-8-8-4 1/25 Scale (Engine)

Z

Zathros

not for dumping ash on rail, there are sand domes and lines ahead of drivers for that. Probably for better cleaning of fire box. Will have t check my references.

That makes more sense, easy access too.

dnalor

i'm not into trains but this train is great...hum...and large.:)
is this really awsome..

i have such a long list of projects i want to do..
and every time i find a more bigger more beautiful piece of art

This will certainly be on the wishlist....

chooch.42

kooklik, hello again. You have noted, but others not "into"trains may not - your "Big Boy" is fueled by coal, has a coal-carrying tender. Coal does not burn as cleanly as oil (also used to fuel steam locos), leaving considerable amounts of ash and other unburnable residue which falls through gratings beneath the floor of the firebox into the ash pans and chutes between the frames (as on your model). During service at the end of a run, the ash would be dropped from the pans into "ash pits" between the rails by folks pushing the ash and residue toward the chutes using tools through these access doors. Oil-fired steam locos did not have this type of accessory - no "ash", but lots of carbon. Zathros, I have been watching kooklik's amazing project since he began it. I know a little about trains...but I cannot fathom HOW kooklik designs, then constructs this monumental piece - alone !...and from "paper"! I am astonished and fascinated - but think I would never have such patience, skill and persistent industry. Thanks to both of you for the instruction and enjoyment ! Bob C.

kooklik

Hello Bob
Thanks for keep following my work and the worth knowledge of the ash pans access doors. During 3D modeling I saw folks beneath the cab floor but really didn't know what they were for. Thanks again for the answers.
----kooklik----

Finished the ash pans
BackEngine-129.jpg

BackEngine-130.jpg

BackEngine-131.jpg

Bhelliom

Hi Kooklik, still watching this with considerable interest. Surely one of the greatest models ever built!

I just came across this page; http://www.fineartmodels.com/fineartmodels.com/Big_Boy.html which I thought might be of some interest and/or use to you. The models are sold out now, but they were charging $15,500 for them! They weren't even as big as yours (1/32 scale) so as far as I'm concerned, not quite as good, either.

Scott K.

kooklik

Hi Kooklik, still watching this with considerable interest. Surely one of the greatest models ever built!

I just came across this page; http://www.fineartmodels.com/fineartmodels.com/Big_Boy.html which I thought might be of some interest and/or use to you. The models are sold out now, but they were charging $15,500 for them! They weren't even as big as yours (1/32 scale) so as far as I'm concerned, not quite as good, either.

Scott K.

Hello Scott
The link is very helpful to me. I visited this site many times during 3D design. Some parts I couldn't understand by original 2D drawings. Here is one of good resource for Big Boy lovers.
The models were made of steel parts. All parts are so fine as their company's name although built in 1/32.
Great model !
----kooklik----

Z

Zathros

This model is really so amazing, it almost looks Photoshopped but Photoshop isn't that good yet! :)

Z

Zathros

kooklik, hello again. You have noted, but others not "into"trains may not - your "Big Boy" is fueled by coal, has a coal-carrying tender. Coal does not burn as cleanly as oil (also used to fuel steam locos), leaving considerable amounts of ash and other unburnable residue which falls through gratings beneath the floor of the firebox into the ash pans and chutes between the frames (as on your model). During service at the end of a run, the ash would be dropped from the pans into "ash pits" between the rails by folks pushing the ash and residue toward the chutes using tools through these access doors. Oil-fired steam locos did not have this type of accessory - no "ash", but lots of carbon. Zathros, I have been watching kooklik's amazing project since he began it. I know a little about trains...but I cannot fathom HOW kooklik designs, then constructs this monumental piece - alone !...and from "paper"! I am astonished and fascinated - but think I would never have such patience, skill and persistent industry. Thanks to both of you for the instruction and enjoyment ! Bob C.[/QUOTE

Thank you for your informative post. Kooklik's Big Boy is a museum worthy piece, and I believe he could easily have some accept it if that were his wish. If it where left up to me I would put it in an Argon filled glass case with U.V. protection and "oogle" it for the rest of me life. There would also be some "Ha ha's, Look what I got,and you don't!!, but that my baser self! :):twisted:

kooklik

Hello there
More step to report. I airbrushed the ash pans and trail truck. Suspension parts inside the trail truck were difficult to assembly. But they were OK in their positions in finally.
----kooklik----

BackEngine-139.jpg

BackEngine-140.jpg

Z

Zathros

Incredible. This model would be a personal lifetime best for me. Please keep the pictures coming! I love these states of awe!! :)

kooklik

Thank you Zathros.
I'm adding more small parts to the trail truck. May have some pictures to report on this weekend.
----kooklik----

Psyscape

Just went through this thread front to back as I'd not noticed it before. I am rendered quite speechless, which is unusual for me. Just amazing, truly amazing.

Psyscape

Yes it is. The only train model I've attempted is a brass and white metal Flying Scotsman. Nice kit and enough "fiddly bits" to keep most modellers happy, but it doesn't hold a patch to what is being built in this thread.

It is marvellous to see not only the design process but the builds of various pieces as well, very informative and endlessly fascinating. I'm not really one for stroking egos but the innate skill displayed here is quite breathtaking.

It seems that every time I turn around and find something new (to me) in this branch of the hobby, my jaw falls even further open than before. I suspect if this carries on much longer I'm going to end up a permanent mouth breather. :D

Z

Zathros

Yes it is. ......................................................... I suspect if this carries on much longer I'm going to end up a permanent mouth breather. :D

I know the feeling. Maybe it's this hobby that gave me sleep apnea!!:mrgreen:

kooklik

I have a new update pictures of trail truck. There are many small parts. I used magnifying lenses for most assembly around the trail truck.
----kooklik----

BackEngine-141.jpg

BackEngine-142.JPG

BackEngine-143.JPG

Z

Zathros

The mini forge must cost you a fortune in energy costs! :)

Excellent looking trail truck. It should provide many decades of reliable service!! :)