unicorns

seraphim

Sep 1, 2023
:bulgeeye: random question of the day....
What is the one kit youve always wanted to do, but never been able to......whether theres no kit of it, its too expensive or too complex......or is really hard to find.....
that kit youve always wanted but never got? (doesnt matter if theres no card kit of it - you never know you might inspire someone lol)
Think mine would be a B36 Peacemaker - i did one as a kid (plastic kit) a metre long ish and it was broken (stamped on) and never got round to getting another lol
random i know, but it just popped into my head lol
Az

seraphim

Sep 1, 2023
For me, I would have to say I would like a good detailed paper/cardstock model template of the SA-43 Hammerhead Fighter (from SPACE: Above and Beyond), with detailed cockpit interior and landing gear.
dammit....forgot about that one....oooo...starfury from b5...(done the plastic kit tho)

Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
Mine would be the Bandai ISD with lighting kit, but I could never afford it... My son in Japan saw it in the Bandai store, for 45,000 yen ouch! $300 USD before shipping.....

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
If there is none, make one yourself. ;)

Basically the Landram was the one for me. "Was" because it is no longer unavailable. I chose it to be the first papercraft I have designed from sketch to prototype, from white model to the final textured result. I got inspired by the great work of the members of this forum and other scifi modelers and after downloading several free models I wanted to give something back to the community. The Landram looked like a suitable subject because of its angular shape. I started with a hand-drawn sketch which I imported in Corel. Even though the Landram was not the very first model I released it was the culmination of various design and build techniques I learned from other designers and which I tested on several other builds. Then, one day I tried SketchUp and stuck with it.

seraphim

Sep 1, 2023
If there is none, make one yourself. ;)

Basically the Landram was the one for me. "Was" because it is no longer unavailable. I chose it to be the first papercraft I have designed from sketch to prototype, from white model to the final textured result. I got inspired by the great work of the members of this forum and other scifi modelers and after downloading several free models I wanted to give something back to the community. The Landram looked like a suitable subject because of its angular shape. I started with a hand-drawn sketch which I imported in Corel. Even though the Landram was not the very first model I released it was the culmination of various design and build techniques I learned from other designers and which I tested on several other builds. Then, one day I tried SketchUp and stuck with it.
i feel like the student among the masters lol....all the work on here is amazing and kudos to those who can see their creations to fruition - i hope my building efforts can be enough to show my appreciation for all the work put in to designing them :bowdown:

Reactions: mijob

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
If you do the Death Star, do the one that wasn't completed, but had the functioning weapon. That wold make for an interesting model, the framework exposed, you could wire it up, it would make a great lamp on, and great one off, with just running/passenger room lights. ;),

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
I prefer that one as well. The main question which will be haunting you then: Do you replicate a model of the filming miniature or the one seen on screen? I would choose the one on screen because the real look would be very weird and may cause everyone stating there is something off or wrong with it. ;)

FYI, the model was flipped in post because it looked better that way. ;)

Reactions: zathros and mijob

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
i feel like the student among the masters lol....all the work on here is amazing and kudos to those who can see their creations to fruition - i hope my building efforts can be enough to show my appreciation for all the work put in to designing them :bowdown:
Before the Landram I build a few paper models which came with a partwork magazine series called "Projekt X". Each issue dealt with a certain topic. They supplied a very informative magazine, a poster and a printed paper kit to cut out and assemble. The magazines and posters survived several moves but the early models unfortunately did not. Among them were a stunning replica of Voyager II in front of a concave 2.5 D background of Jupiter and its moons. When you walked around it the background would move, too, giving the illusion that the space probe was floating.

475178.jpg

The other most impressive ones were a star map (which is still in great shape) and a sophisticated sundial.

You can see the contents of the magazines here:

Someone used the paper plans to build a metal sundial:

The real enthusiasm struck me when I discovered Zealot and the Galactica shippack model project. The work of these guys highly inspired me to start a project of my own. I would never have believed that this would turn me into a (hobby) paper model designer. So far I have made 78, several of them in close collaboration with @Rhaven Blaack . We joined Zealot at around the same time, he was in for Buck, I was in for BSG, and somehow we met in the middle. :biggrin:

seraphim

Sep 1, 2023
Before the Landram I build a few paper models which came with a partwork magazine series called "Projekt X". Each issue dealt with a certain topic. They supplied a very informative magazine, a poster and a printed paper kit to cut out and assemble. The magazines and posters survived several moves but the early models unfortunately did not. Among them were a stunning replica of Voyager II in front of a concave 2.5 D background of Jupiter and its moons. When you walked around it the background would move, too, giving the illusion that the space probe was floating.

475178.jpg

The other most impressive ones were a star map (which is still in great shape) and a sophisticated sundial.

You can see the contents of the magazines here:

Someone used the paper plans to build a metal sundial:

The real enthusiasm struck me when I discovered Zealot and the Galactica shippack model project. The work of these guys highly inspired me to start a project of my own. I would never have believed that this would turn me into a (hobby) paper model designer. So far I have made 78, several of them in close collaboration with @Rhaven Blaack . We joined Zealot at around the same time, he was in for Buck, I was in for BSG, and somehow we met in the middle. :biggrin:
its a good job you guys met, the site is great and the work youve done is awesome - ive built kits since a kid (many....many moons ago) but the card kits ive discovered in recent years have come such a long way that for all intents and purposes they are on par with commercial plastic kits - the fantastic thing with this side of the hobby seems to be that its done for the love of the hobby, not (in the main) for the money.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
This site was a mess once, seems like a long time ago. When I came in, I decided that it had to be member driven. That meant that the "Haters" had to go. I got a lot of guff for that, but there were so many good people here, and I knew them from other forums. Rhaven and Revell were the Cherry on top of the cake. The members make the forum great.

Everyone treats each other with respect and honor, with dignity, that should be expected. We have some really brilliant members, some of them work in very highly visible famous animation, but you won't know who they are unless you know who they are. It's a pleasure to be able to have a great group of people that make this forum almost operate on it's own. Rhaven and Revell are doing such excellent work, as are so many others members. This forum, to me, is very peaceful.

You did hit one subject on the head. The members here who offer their work do so for the love of the hobby, not money. That is a great thing. We have other friend forums and we link together very well. :)

seraphim

Sep 1, 2023
This site was a mess once, seems like a long time ago. When I came in, I decided that it had to be member driven. That meant that the "Haters" had to go. I got a lot of guff for that, but there were so many good people here, and I knew them from other forums. Rhaven and Revell were the Cherry on top of the cake. The members make the forum great.

Everyone treats each other with respect and honor, with dignity, that should be expected. We have some really brilliant members, some of them work in very highly visible famous animation, but you won't know who they are unless you know who they are. It's a pleasure to be able to have a great group of people that make this forum almost operate on it's own. Rhaven and Revell are doing such excellent work, as are so many others members. This forum, to me, is very peaceful.

You did hit one subject on the head. The members here who offer their work do so for the love of the hobby, not money. That is a great thing. We have other friend forums and we link together very well. :)
its great to see that forums like this still exist - theres too much unnecessary goading online now, sign of the times i guess - i know alot of the model making groups do tend to be good but there are also alot that can be very 'elitist' or competitive which i think is why this forum is so good - just good friendly chat and encouragement and the funny thing is i dont usually show my finished works online - ive found it to be very unnerving but here i feel i can. Awesome work by you all to keep the forums going this way - long may they reign :toast:

Reactions: mijob

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
I only hate not having enough time to make all the models I want to make. I may move to Mars, the year takes twice as long there as on Earth. :hammerhead:

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: mijob and seraphim

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
You guys are awesome. Knowing that the sharing and willingness to share, which has blossoms on this forum, is constantly paying off. The threads to bring good people together and make our experiences better through sharing our works, and the appreciation thereof. :)